Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1

i have a 790sw and got a type m 2gb card, i attempted to take movies but was limited at the highest resolution to 10 seconds and at the med and low resolutions to 30 minutes even though it said i had enough space to record for almost 2hrs.

i emailed olympus and they said that in order to take advantage of full movie recording to the limit of the card i must have a type h card. I went an purchased the type h card and got the same results as above with the type m card.

does anyone know of a trick or how to get this camera to record to the limit of the type h card ... i have dome multiple formats ... i have also contacted olympus about this and they have yet to respond !!
xrayg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:09 AM   #2

Welcome xrayg, The ten second run time on the higher resolution is correct. Not sure why, but it is mentioned in reviews Ive read and it is also stated in the manual. Not sure about the lower resolutions and the problems there. The CD manual has more detailed info than the booklet, check in there. Goodluck.

Steve M
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:01 PM   #3

Hi.

I have a 790,and it`s a great camera apart for the video mode, olympus always seems to drop the ball in this respect.

I read that the 10 second limit at 640x480 was because the image sensor gets hot when recording, as they said you can feel the camera heat up after a few continues 10 second runs??

I have a number of other makes of camera that do 640x480 only limited by the card capacity.

I also have a kodak £150 camera that can record in HD quality at 1080x720 until the card is full.

so why do olympus have this heat problem, beat me?

regards

John.

Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:59 AM   #4
PJM

I've read that if you have an H-Type xD card you get longer clips. I think the 640 x 480 30 fps can't stream to an M card fast enough, so 10 seconds is all the buffer can hold until it can write to the slower card.
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:11 AM   #5

Hi.

I have a H-Type xD card in my 790 and you still only get 10 seconds at 640x480.

regards

John.

PJM wrote:
Quote:
I've read that if you have an H-Type xD card you get longer clips. I think the 640 x 480 30 fps can't stream to an M card fast enough, so 10 seconds is all the buffer can hold until it can write to the slower card.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote