Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 7, 2007, 4:06 PM   #1

I bought my SP550 UZ right when they came out in about March of 2007. I'm pretty sure I've done one firmware update since I've owned it. I haven't checked for further updates recently becuase I built a new computer and haven't installed the Olympus software that has the way to obtain an update. I have never shot anything in raw format. Recently, while doing research for a friend, I got interested in finding out about the raw capabilities of my camera.

I am using a 1 gig Olympus brand xD card, type H.

For some reason, I can't set the camera to shoot in raw mode. I've looked through the manual and the only thing I see about this is that under certain circumstances you can't shoot in raw.

On page 21 of the manual (with a footnote) it says that a choice to shoot in raw is not displayed when the mode dial is set to either "auto" or "scn." This is further documented in the chart on page 72. There is no raw mode choice displayed in the image qualitiy section of the menu.

With the mode set to P, A, S, or M, I should be able to set to shot in raw mode. There is a choice for raw in the image quality menu, but it is grayed out, so it can't be chosen.

I figured there was some other setting that was interferring with being able to set to raw, so I chose the "reset" option in the menu to restore defaults.

I still can't get to a live "raw" choice.

I wanted to try raw to see how it compared to regular jpegs. I realize I have to post process the files, but it mightbe fun to experiment a little.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've search this forum and have googled this issue, but I haven't seen anything similar to my situation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

FalvinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:39 PM   #2

Weird...

I believe, if you press the menu button and select "Setup", or it may say "Camera Setup"....I can't remember which or if that's even right or notand I don't have mine here in front of me to check, but I believethat's where you'll find the various resolution perameters, including RAW. If no one else chimes in with the right answer I'll check mine this evening and get back to you. I use one of those exact samecards.

I have done some RAW SP550files through Olympus Studio. I have Photoshop CS2, but the last version of Adobe Camera RAW for CS2 did not include support for the SP550, so until I upgrade to CS3 or Lightroom, I'll be stuck to using Studio with SP550 RAW files.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:04 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I checked out the "setup" menu area. There are no choices there that have anything to do with image quality. Unless I missed something, the menu area to change the type of image resolution etc. is called "image quality,"which is were I was in the first place.

I wonder if this might be a defective camera and, if so, would it be covered under warranty? I bought it at abrick and mortar Fry's Electronics store.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your reply to my somewhat mysterious set of circumstances.

Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:34 PM   #4

Yes, I just checked mine. While in record mode, I clicked "Menu", then "Image Quality", and there are the various options, including RAW, with sub-options of RAW only, or RAW with attached JPEG's of varying resolutions.

I've posted a few RAW files here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2722705#144431102

I even uploaded the RAW files to an account I have at Bigupload.com. You can click on the link in the notes belowany image if you'd like to try one.

I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to think what your issue might be, but maybe it is a problem camera.

The only recordingmodes I was not able to choose the RAW option was in AUTO and the SCN modes.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:52 PM   #5

Thanks again for the reply. I've pretty much decided that it's a defective camera. I called Olympus customer service and was quite amazed how quickly I got through to a person (almost instantaneous after choosing three sub menus). After making sure I was doing things right, the rep suggested I reformat the xD card. I had to download the pics on the card and then reformatted. Same thing occured. Couldn't get to raw.

The repair number was closed by the time I finished downloading and refortting, so I guess I'll contact them on Monday to arrange for a warranty repair.

Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:42 AM   #6
oel

FalvinP, I experienced a similar problem, my SP550UZ would not go into RAW.

I finaly "RESET" and went back to "default settings" and the camera now works in RAW.

I am not sure what "setting" I had caused this??
oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:41 PM   #7

Thanks FalvinP,

I purchased one of these cameras fairly recently.

( wish I'd waited for the fuji) I have exactly the same problem. I've

spent most of the day reading the manual, pressing buttons, changing

this and that, to no avail. I spotted your topic and you have expressed the

problem far better than i could. I am now going to reset as suggested by

oel and see what happens. ( Not really happy with this camera) I'll let you

know if I'm successful after dinner.
Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:01 PM   #8

I probably should have posted this a couple of days ago, since that's when I solved my problem.

After having my camera put away for a month or so, I decided to get it out and start refamiliarizing myself with it in preperation for a project in March.

By happenstance I noticed that the camera was set to sequence mode......(menu, camera menu, drive, sequential shooting......2nd option, not H1 or H2. When I set this back to one frame at a time I got the raw mode back. I reproduced this several times and it was consistant each time.

I too, poored through the manual and , although there are numerous notes at the bottom of themanual page concerning drive modes, none of them refer to not having raw when in sequence mode. If there had been the appropriate footnote, I would have solved my original issue fairly quickly, since I always try to do appropriate research before I post in a forum.

One of the earlier posters suggested that I use the reset menu as well. I thought I tried this and it didn't work. Well, this time, after reproducing my issue several times, I decided to set it up to where I didn't have raw again. I did a reset and this time it worked! I must have done something wrong the last time, but now I'm happy I can experiment with raw mode now.

I hope this helps.

Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:15 PM   #9

Hi FalvinP,

I checked my drive mode every time and made sure it was set to single.

Still nothing. I reset as per oel and everything works perfectly (touch wood)

I think that the camera was still thinking that it was set for sequenetial

shooting even though it wasn't. I'll give it " some hammer " tomorrow and

see what happens. ( see page 25 Drive.) only [ ] is available when record

mode is set to [RAW]. My camera showed that it was set to single drive

on every occassion. When you manage to get RAW to work the drive mode

is not accessable.

Kind Regards,

Pedantic

Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:56 PM   #10

Ive had this problem too for monthes only just found this post by accident and after reading everything and anything and trying everything but the reset option and it DID fix the problem for me very simple too
as I hadnt used the raw for the first year of my camera it may be a factory problem in the setup from all my research coz no one could tell me how to fix it

ALL FIXED NOW JUST PRESS THE MENU BUTTON AND SELECT RESET SIMPLE AS THAT
aussie_dave is offline   Reply With Quote