Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1

I've had our C-750 UZ for several years and it's always taken great pictures. Lately, I've noticed that the pictures are starting to come out blurry or grainy regardless if I use the Auto setting or the P setting. After several shots the pictures will come out clear again but now and then, I'll experience the blurry phenomenon.

Anyone experience this and know what to do? I read one discussion where the user had his C-750 for 18 months and then it had some "serious vinting and fringing problems."

Someone is going to tell me I need to buy a new camera, right? :roll:
dbautista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Administrator

I'd suggest posting a sample or two of what you're talking about.

A grainy photo is usually a result of a higher ISO speed being used.

More often than not, a blurry photo is due to shutter speeds being too slow for the lighting (and a typical "well lit" interior is low light to a camera).

Blurry and/or grainy photos is a very common complaint here when a flash is not being used indoors, so I'd make sure you don't have the flash forced off.

IOW, it's unlikely there is anything wrong with it from what you've said so far.

It sounds more like you're using it in less than optimum lighting without a flash or tripod (so, you're getting grainy photos from higher ISO speeds, and blurry photos from camera shake and/or subject movement). The solution would be to keep ISO speeds set lower and use the flash.

But, a sample or two would help to narrow down the issues.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Here are a few pics:

Forum 1. Taken tonight. Auto setting. Lights on in the dining room to the right. Flash went off. No tripod. 6 feet away. Other pictures I took tonight of wife and daughter making cookies for Santa turned out great.

Forum 2. I think it was on P setting with forced flash on. This one was the last one I finally took. On a tripod. 5 feet away.

Forum 3. Taken right before Forum2 picture. Same settings. On a tripod. Same distance.

P.S. I'm new at this forum and I think I just realized I can only send one attachment at a time.

Here's #1.
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:32 AM   #4

Is there a different way to send the photos? I didn't expect it to show up right on the reply unless that's how it normally shows up.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:41 AM   #5

Here's Forum #2 pic.
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:44 AM   #6

And Forum #3 pic.
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2007, 1:09 AM   #7
Administrator

dbautista wrote:
Quote:
Forum 1. Taken tonight. Auto setting. Lights on in the dining room to the right. Flash went off. No tripod. 6 feet away. Other pictures I took tonight of wife and daughter making cookies for Santa turned out great.
That one is probably blurry because you didn't have a focus lock. The drive mode was set to continuous, and that was the first photo in the burst according to the makernote section in the EXIF.

Many cameras will take the photo without a focus lock when the camera's drive mode is set to continuous, unless you half press the shutter button and wait for a focus lock first.

You probably accidently set it that way when you were using the Self Timer (the same button cycles between drive modes on most cameras).

If you did see a lock, then the Christmas Tree lights may have fooled it. That's a problem I've seen a lot of in the past (lights on a Christmas tree fooling the Autofocus).

But, I think it's more likely that your drive mode caused it (i.e., the camera did not wait on a focus lock because it was set to continuous mode).

Quote:
Forum 2. I think it was on P setting with forced flash on. This one was the last one I finally took. On a tripod. 5 feet away.
I don't see anything unexpected with that one. Your subjects were relatively close. So, the camera couldn't use a longer flash burst (making the background darker, to try and prevent overexposing the closer subjects). For a brighter background, you'd need to use a slower shutter speed and/or higher ISO speed setting than the camera defaulted to.

Quote:
Forum 3. Taken right before Forum2 picture. Same settings. On a tripod. Same distance.
That one has got a bit of blur because of slow shutter speeds (1/5 second) using manual exposure (not the same settings) with the flash turned off.

That's why the sofa looks sharper (it wasn't moving, but you had some subject movement causing a bit of at very slow shutter speeds like that). A slower shutter speed can help get a brighter background from ambient light exposure. But, you're going to get motion blur at shutter speeds that slow with any movement at all (which is what happened to that one from the young lady moving some).

IOW, I don't see anything wrong other than camera settings.

Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:30 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Someone is going to tell me I need to buy a new camera, right? :roll:
Not me. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The camera appears to be working fine, other than some settings quirks for a couple of those shots.

Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:50 AM   #9

Thanks for the feedback. I'll recheck the settings and try again.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.