Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:47 AM   #1

The battery in my C8080 won't charge. Is that a sure sign that the battery needs to be replaced? Can I be reasonably sure there's nothing else wrong with the camera? The charge light doesn't come on when I connect it to AC power, but the camera still operates okay on AC, except for the fact that I can't turn on the flash. I'll be relieved if I just need to replace the battery. I've had the camera for a couple of years now (since it first came out and was, at that time, THE camera to buy). This is the first problem I've ever had with it.

Thanks for any replies or suggestions!
[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img][img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
SteelBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2

Hi: The fact that the Charge Light on the AC charger does not light up seems to indicate a problem with either the battery, or less likely, with the charger itself.

Have the metal contacts on both the battery & charger been cleaned? Use a pencil eraser and clean both sets of contacts. (Also check that the power cord is inserted correctly into the back of the charger. It is easy to come loose and stop the charging.)

You should consider buying a new battery. Not only to help analyse the problem, but to use as a spare. I love my C8080, but realized a long time ago that it's best to have a spare battery when you are out shooting all day.

Good luck,

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Steven - Thanks for the reply. I took your advice and cleaned the contacts on the battery and the charger. I also unplugged everything (at both ends) and reconnected everything. I'm not sure what was causing the problem, but the charging light is nice and red and I presume the battery is charging. I agree with you that a spare battery is a great idea. I think I'm going to get one with the 15% discount Oly sent me via email this week. Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to my question!
SteelBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:51 PM   #4

That sounds like good news. If you have a nice steady charging light, you have probably fixed the problem.

Yes, it's always nice to have a spare battery. I noticed that Amazon is offering a genuine Olympus battery at just under $50. A lot chaper than 3 years ago. It looks like the price has been dropping as battery production has increased. (Most of the Olympus dSLRs use the BLM-1 battery.)

Good luck and Happy New Year

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote