Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 9, 2003, 5:15 PM   #1

Default Remote control

With my Olympus c750 Ultra Zoom I was provided a remote control that will operate only from in front of the lens up to about 20 feet(like a TV IR remote). Needless to say this is not sufficient for bird photography and Olympus offers no other remote control. Does anyone know of an after market wireless remote control that can be operated with this camera from within 100 feet from any position. Thanks
redrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2003, 5:11 PM   #2

An alternative is to use either a laptop with remote control software hooked up to the camera via USB.

Another alternative is to use IR repeaters...these are normally used to control IR devices in one part of the house from another...as they go through walls it would have no problems with a few hundred feet outside. The only problem is the receiver and the transmitter are normally powered by AC...you might be able to power them by batteries if they use DC adapters.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 4:42 PM   #3

Thank you MIke, that gives me a place to start. Now where would one find an IR repeater ? Being able to utilize the existing IR remote would be a definite plus if I can just figure out how to get the IR signal to the camera from locations other than in front of the lens. Can't get those hummingbirds to set with me for group photos.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 5:38 PM   #4

As you didn't fill out your location info when you registered, I can't tell you where you can get it as I don't know what part of the world you're in! ;-)

In North America, you can get them in stores like Radio Shack, Future Shop, Best Buy, Walmart, etc.

These devices are usually made by Recoton, but there are probably other brands...here's one example, http://shop.store.yahoo.com/satelliteone/remconrep.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 9:14 PM   #5

Thanks again Mike, very helpful. I am in the US so the retailers you mention are available.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 3:02 AM   #6

I have no idea if this would work, but... how about a programmable tv remote. The kind you aim the camera remote at it, it reads the camera remote signal and it then sends out that signal on the button you assigned. If you try it, let us know???
J Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 8:41 AM   #7

I tried my programmable tv remote but with no luck. However it is the problem of short operable distance and being able to activate only from in front of the lens that needs a solution. Mike,s suggestion of trying an IR repeater is an excellant suggestion as well. I am trying to determine the Olympus IR code and feasability of using a repeater within 100 ft. If that works, it will solve my problem very easily. Thanks for your suggestion, J. Miller.