Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:40 AM   #1
Administrator

Olympus has introduced 10 new camera models. See more here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...lympus_jan2208

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:25 PM   #2

The SP-570 looks very interesting with added hotshoe and the extended zoom range. However, I wonder how the image quality will be, given that they are cramming 10 megapixels onto a fairly small sensor.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:15 PM   #3

That was my thoughts exactly. I'm a novice compared to most here but I've read an awful lot of posts on this site and others about megapixel vs sensor size and it seems none of the companies are concerned about it. I hear a lot of knowledgeable people complaining about picture quality suffering from it. I was just debating whether to go with the pany fz 18 or the oly 560 and now a couple months later another one pops up??? I don't even have time to make a decision and they already have a new model. I guess my question is will it give us very good picture quality, no one expects DSLR results but I dont want to see them keep adding megapixels to the same sensors until you end up with something that looks like it came out of a 50 dollar camera when you paid 500.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:05 PM   #4

I think the image quality will be decent at ISO 200 and below. However, they are touting their high ISO range - up to 6400. It seems like overkill to me. However, maybe they accomplished some technical mircale and I will be pleasantly surprised.

I wish they would develop a camera with less zoom but better high ISO performance, like the Fuji S6000fd, but with optical image stabilization. But maybe the rest of the camera buying public doesn't think that way.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote