Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:24 PM   #1

They keep taunting us with new features, I like the hot shoe and the sort of manual zoom but why won't they change the sensor size to fit the camera? I'm really hoping this one has great quality shots but it seems fujis new camera the S100FS is going to lead the pack in that department. Of course the price at about 300 more will make you think why not just go dslr but I'm waiting to see some shots taken with the 570 before I make up my mind. So far all I've seen is previews and reviews but I'm sure it won't be long before real pictures start filtering around. I have waited through the onslaught of the first 550's that didn't get great reviews and then the pany fz 18 and 560 comparisons. I've actually seen some very good photos taken with both of these cameras but I kept holding out to see if anyone would listen to the people in the forums about sensor size vs megapixels and other than fuji I guess not. Still from what I've seen of the pany 18 and oly 560 I think I would be satisfied with either of them. I'll hold out a little longer to see some pics from the 570 before making my choice.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:08 AM   #2

eharrim, in pricip you are right about the size of the sensor.
However keep in mind that an increase of the sensor would lead to increase of the camera optics (camera size :-)).
mguergov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:36 PM   #3

You're right. I'm not camera savvy enough to know what adding more megapixels to the 570 with basically the same sensor will do to the quality. I emailed olympus and asked them just that. I'll probably get a canned response but I also asked if they knew of any real time photos taken with the 570 on the web yet, I haven't seen any. I realize it's early and I'm not very patient but if it's coming out in march I would like to see some 560/570 comparisions in image quality. You can get a pretty good package deal on the 560's now with all the goodies and an olympus 2 gig card for under 500 through fotoconnection which is the base price of the 570 barebones.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:23 PM   #4

I would check out Fotoconnection a little before buying from them:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...tion_1#reviews

I have the SP-560 and think it's an improvement over the SP-550. I am just wondering if Olympus can do some kind of technological magic to give the 570 decent images at ISO's 200 and above.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:10 PM   #5

From what I have read people seem to be fairly happy with the 560. Having a C series 765 that to me has very good quality shots within it's limitations I really wanted to get a little closer to the subjects on longer shots without loss of that quality. I've seen some pretty incredible shots taken with the 560 but some not so hot. Like everything else it's the person behind it that knows what to do that makes the difference. Like yourself I'm waiting to see if the 570 has some technological breakthrough that has figured out the IQ issues associated with the bridge type cameras.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:15 PM   #6

By the way, thank you for the heads up on fotoconnection, it appears they don't want to stay in business very long from the reviews. I guess I need to shop around a little.