Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:11 AM   #1

Has anyone used Cameta auctions on ebay? They have some good package deals on Olympus cameras. I was looking into getting a 560 with a 2 gig olympus card needed to do panorama shots and they seem to have decent reviews, at least from ebay users. Thanks to Robbo I won't be using fotoconnection who had some good deals but very poor reviews. I was waiting to see results on the 570 IQ but since a hot shoe and manual zoom aren't really a priority for me getting a 560 with all the goodies for around 450 dollars sounds pretty tempting.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:07 PM   #2

Cameta has a pretty good reputation, just try to avoid the "kits" and stick to the camera and memory card. So many of the "extras" that are thrown into the kits are not worth the cost above the value of the camera. ButCameta does not have a bad reputation like some other sellers, so you won't be burned. Also, be sure to check some of very reputable old line camera stores such as B & H Photo, or Adorama. They sometimes have excellent prices on Olympus, but even if not on sale, there prices are competitive, and you never worry aboutanyshady practices with the company. I have dealt with B&H for over 20 years, and never had a problem. They currently are selling new SP-360 for $349.95 including batteries. A 2GB xD card is $29.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Also, I have purchased cameras directly from the Olympus Auction site on e-bay, and have never had any problems. The price may be higher than some other sellers, but the cameras are directly fromOlympus. They are either Olympus factory reconditioned, or are new products withdirty or worn packaging that can't be sold as new. So the selection varies from week to week. When I checked today, they had 15 of the SP-550 cameras for sale, but no SP-560. Anyway here is the link for Olympus:

http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-Auctions_Digital-Cameras

Good luck,

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3

Thanks Steve,
I'll check out B&H. I just got my first video view of the 570 from a link in one of the forums early today. I was kind of interested but you have to use your left hand to turn the manual zoom ring, there is no toggle to zoom which means you can't just hold the camera and zoom you have to use both hands. A dslr thing but I kind of enjoy using one hand to control the zoom, it's a preference thing. With this in mind I guess I'm going for the 560 and not wait for more reviews on the 570. Cameta has a package deal for 399 on the 560 including the olympus 2 gig card, charger and batteries, and some other stuff not necessary but nice to have. So far that seems to be the best deal I've seen. 20 bucks for shipping so for 420 a new camera with card and batteries/charger, it seems to be pretty good. To do panaromas you have to use an Oly card and a lot of the package deals other places don't. I'll have to purchase filters separately. Thanks again for the info.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote