Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:07 AM   #1

I just purchased a used c-5060 on ebay for $150 since there are NO point and shoot cameras on the market that offer everything it does until you get to either the Nikon D40 d-slr or pentax k100d dslr. Both obviously cost much more. Yes I know there are distinct advantages to a d-slr (speed and higher ISO to name a few).

I love the camera. But, it does have one strange quirk. Maybe this is normal. When I am in quick view then hit the shutter to go back to take a photo, the lcd flickers, then ALL data (camera settings)appear for a fraction of a second on the lcd then dissappears while the live view flickers and then comes on and then most of the data (that's supposed to be there) comes back. It also clicks (once?) while doing this process.

has anyone else experienced this?

thanks

gregg

olympus c-5000

olympus c-5060

canon S3

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2

Does it also do this when you hit the quick view button to return instead of the shutter button? (the quick view button is a toggle switch:- hit once to turn on, hit again to go back to shooting mode.)

All my Olympus cameras lcd just briefly go black for an instant between modes, but never had one "flicker". However, if yours does okay when taking photos, you probably shouldn't worry too much. The C5060 is a good camera.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 1:48 PM   #3

that's really strange, when you hit the quick view again...it's smooth - no flicker and quick, just when I hit the shutter to return to take pictures

thanks steven

Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:46 PM   #4

just very odd...very clunky ONLY when I hit the shutter button to turn off the quick view...the view of whatever it's focused on goes on and off and back on again (flickering as it does)with theall thedata on for a fraction of a second then that vanishesand thenthelimited correct data displays as the view of whatever the camera is looking at stops flickering...this all happens in the span of about 2 or 3 seconds...it just may be a quirk in the design

Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:34 PM   #5

Sounds like your camera is okay. Just make it a habit to only use the live view button to turn that feature on and off.

Have fun taking photos! :-)

Steven R.

Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:12 PM   #6

thanks steven

I'm amazed that a camera that is about 4-5 years old in technology has kept up with todays designs in terms of picture quality (too many noisy 10mp sensors out there!)....

and olympus, like so many camera companies has stripped features on theirpoint and shootdesigns in favor of dslr's

the lastpoint and shoot cameras to offer all of the features on the c-5060 were the olympus c-8080, c-7070, nikon 8800, and the canon G6

Of course now the rebel, d40 and pentax line start at a lower prices then any of those cameras.

Oh, do you happen to know if anyone makes a cheaper or generic TTL flash that works with the c-5060?...I have an FL-20 (not the most powerful)...and I have seen the fl-40 on ebay though

Gregg

Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:20 PM   #7

Here is an interesting link for flashes that fit Olympus, including the C-5060.

http://www.the-meissners.org/olympus-flash.html

Also: http://myolympus.org/has a lot of good info on Olympus C series and dSLR. There is a section on the C-5060 with a lot of interesting data and tips.

I have numereous digital cameras, but the C8080 is my favorite by far. It is truely a classic, and the photos from it are outstanding. It sad, but we will not likely see another Olympus lineup like the C5050, C5060, C7070, and C8080. Now their best cameras are the E series dSLRs. That's the reality of the market place. But I usually leave theSLRat home and grab the C8080.

Steve R.

Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:09 PM   #8

I have a Nikon DSLR, but when I bought it I still kept my C-8080.

I use the C-8080 when I travel abroad such as China. Less equipment to carry and still get high quality photos.

It is a great camera with excellent quality photos and I have no intention of getting rid of it although I do not use as much as I once did
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:53 PM   #9

its kind of sad that you can't get a point and shoot camera with raw mode, a hot shoe, wide angle lens, AF beam, shutter/aperture preferred, white balance fine tuning, swing out LCD, and remote...all in one camera

marketing in point and shoot is 10+mp, big LCD and will it fit my pocket

if only people knew the difference an external flash can make

gregg
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:34 PM   #10

interesting comments back in 2005...he also compared

the c-5060 and c-7070

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c-wz/c7070.html

"We may suspect that Olympus decided to pull the plug on the '7070, for reasons unknown. Maybe the model was offering too narrow profit margin: good lens, all-metal body, solid construction — most of that wasted on the mass market anyway. The recently announced SP-310 and SP-350 from Olympus (7 and 8 MP, respectively) are clearly addressed at the less-demanding market, with the zoom lens starting at only 38 mm (not 28, a huge difference!) and the body construction being a far cry from the '5060 or '7070. The new models may be more appealing to a typical consumer, but I'm not thrilled with them at all, in spite of larger and more readable LCD monitors. "