Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:26 PM   #1

After seeing this review I'm thinking about getting this camera.

http://askthephotographer.com/2008/0...70uz-reviewed/

It has a 10-megapixel resolution, 20x zoom and a 13.5 fps. And it's only 500 bucks. Does anyone have this camera? Can someone tell me if they like this?
HansentheSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:03 PM   #2

I don't have the camera. I had the SP-550 and have the SP-560. The SP-570 adds a hot shoe for external flash, has 2 megapixels more resolution, and has 20X optical zoom instead of the 18X of the SP-560. Those are all very nice.

What I think people are waiting to see before buying one is:

1. can Olympus fit an additional 2 megapixels onto the same sized sensor without degrading image quality?

2. how much distortion is there at wide angle and full zoom?

3. how fast does it focus at various focal lengths?

One complaint of some people who have reviewed the specs of the camera is continued use of only xD cards. xD cards are somewhat more expensive than competing memory types (mostly SD and CF) and slower although a new M+ type xD card is supposed to be coming out soon.

I guess my take on the review you listed is that it is not clear to me that the reviewer had ever taken a picture with the camera. It seemed almost like he had just looked at the specs and then added some phrases which linked what he thought were key assets of the camera. I could do the same thing without ever handling the camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 1:04 AM   #3

I'm impressed by the frame rates too. The 13.5 FPS seems pretty extreme. Was that a feature on your camera and if so, does it use the full 10 megapixels or have a burst mode with a slow FPS?
HansentheSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 1:37 AM   #4

The Olympus SP-560 can do reduced resolution pics very fast. However, the image quality of the 3 megapixel images is not great. It's not like the images you got from 3 megapixel digicams 3 or 4 years ago. If you want to print 4 X 6 photos, ok. I found the same thing was true for Fuji's S8000fd camera super fast burst modes. You can ask round to see if others have the same experience. The Panasonic FZ-18 has a faster full resolution burst mode (3 images per second). In full resolution, the SP-560 will do about 1.2 images per second.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:19 AM   #5

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I guess my take on the review you listed is that it is not clear to me that the reviewer had ever taken a picture with the camera. It seemed almost like he had just looked at the specs and then added some phrases which linked what he thought were key assets of the camera. I could do the same thing without ever handling the camera.
Funny....yesterday I saw this post. At that point it had no responsesand I almostanswered with the same typecomments. That link is more of a glorified advertizement than review or even preview.

I bought the SP550 when it first came out. Still have it. Don't use it that much because after a while the (lack of) AF performance really disappointed me. Image quality was, ok, but I've since purchased Panasonic digicams that run image quality circles around the SP550 at ISO's 100-200 and, in the ones that shoot RAW, ISO 400 too.

The hot shoe will make a huge difference in the flash possibilities. I still have my FL50 flash from the Olympus DSLR days and use it with a Panasonic FZ50 today. Mated with the SP570, that would be a powerful combination, but several other aspects of the SP570 would need to test out MUCH better than the SP550 before I'd ever consider this series again. The AF performance was just horid and slow. With several subjects, the camera simply couldn't focus even with good contrast, and when it did, it was very slow. That's really my biggest complaint about the camera. From an ergonomics standpoint, it's the most comfortable, nicest feeling camera I've ever shot with short of a DSLR.

Those ultra-fast framing rates won't produce single images you'd want to print or even dispolay very big on a monitorat all, but combined, they make for a lot of Photoshopfun with certain subjects..

Those were shot using the "slower" 3 MP mode of the SP550.

It doesn't seem like anyone can take a step back in terms of certain features and simply try to make a better camera than the last one. They've got to always be pushing the limits optically or resolution-wise (or both)and create cameras with excellent looking specs that, in the reality of today's technology, simply aren't going to work well. Something tells me the actualreviews, upposed to something likethe above link,that come out on this camera are not going to be that much of a surprise.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 4:25 PM   #6

* First post *

This thread encoraged me to register. It sums up hours and hours of reserch and comparing specs, which ones matter, and many studied user reviews.

1. We indeed want to know how well the 570UZ actually does.

2. This thread shows the flaws in the 550UZ (that I have for testing). Mainly, the lack of steady help. AKA, it can't hold the darn thing still enough! Plus, the wait is too long. Worse in low light.

3. The 550 fast picture "Drive" is a toy at low res. While, the Panny fz18 takes successive shots at full res.

4. We don't want the highest specs, if they don't work well.

I would like to add, it seems to me that one could put the focus on maunal and achive near SLR picture taking time (no wait) or do DSLR automatically do all with the instant press of a button(without wait).

So what's the draw for DSLR's? Is it less noise at low light and higher iso? (newbie here)

I'm thankful that these cameras are becoming so good, that we can nit-pick the details of pefection. Still, I'm all for pressing forward; more toward camera perfection; with more real world benefits. Keep the bar high and make a better camera. I hope the developers are listening. We are not going to just pick the higest numbers spec unless it is an overall better camera.

I recognise some have specific; differing needs.

My novice questions:

Is Panasonic likely to come out with a 20X (how good) as soon at I buy an FZ18?

Why shouldn't I just get a FZ18? Is there a better camera anywhere?

Where's the best deal?

Where can I find the best FSBO used deals? What then, to watch out for?

Thank you all; this is a great site.

NeoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:46 PM   #7

Nice photos, Gregg-

It would be nice to have a hot shoe to use the FL-50 flash with, I agree.

Sarah Joyce (in New Zealand today)
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:28 PM   #8

Eastereggs ... with SP-570

... original

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:11 PM   #9

For some extreme pictures look

http://mitemiteblog.jp/panoramahead/archive/281/0

(babelfish - http://www.av.com - for translating )

26mm / 520mm / 884mm / 1627mm /:shock: 6240mm <----- !!!

First two pictures with SP-570 only, next with CON17 and the last two with additional KOWA TSN-774.

KOWA TSN-774 price $ 1.600

more pictures

Olympus SP-570
Olympus SP-560

Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:23 PM   #10