Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:28 PM   #1

Default Olympus filenames, ALL please read...

Every year starting in October people ask the same question, "why has the filename changed from "P9" to "Pa" instead of "P10"? So I thought I'd post the answer in advance:

"Why on todays date would it be pa04xxx? I surmise the 04 is the day of the month, but why the a? Shouldn't it be 10 for October?"
I'm going to use Pa040489 for this example:

'a'=October. In the Oly filename format there's only one character that represents the month, which means the decimal system can't be used (1-9) for 12 months, so the hexidecimal numbering system is used as it is base 16, 123456789abcdef, so a=10=October, b=11=November, and c=12=December.

The 04 in Pa040489 is the date

the 0489 in Pa040489 is the picture number
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2003, 1:36 AM   #2

My wife just got a Oly. C-750uz. I usually notice stupid little stuff like that and it would have bugged the heck out of me wondering why... Thank You!
J Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:02 PM   #3
lg

Default Olympus RESET filename option vs other setting...

An excellent post, Mike! But, while on the subject of Olympus filenames, has anyone taken the time to experiment with the RESET option on the cameras regarding filenames?

I have, on occasion used up and entire picture card in a day, and had to use another on the same date. By default, the camera treats the new card the same as the first, and uses the same naming convention as the first card, STARTING AT 0001 again...

So, when transfering the pics to computer, you can get file collision errors, in that the same exact filenames exist. Out of laziness, I haven't taken the time or effort to experiment with this setting, so I'll just ask. If you change the filename from RESET, does it pick up with the next sequential number on the next card inserted on the same date, or exactly what DOES occur?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 1:42 PM   #4

Default Re: Olympus RESET filename option vs other setting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
If you change the filename from RESET, does it pick up with the next sequential number on the next card inserted on the same date, or exactly what DOES occur?

Yes on page 189, of the manual for the C5050Z if you change it from "RESET" to "AUTO" under "File Name " , the folder number and file number are retained from the previous card,so that the same file number is not used on different cards . I guess that this would also apply to other Olympus "C" type cameras.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 9:54 PM   #5

Default Re: Olympus RESET filename option vs other setting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji
Yes on page 189, of the manual for the C5050Z if you change it from "RESET" to "AUTO" under "File Name " , the folder number and file number are retained from the previous card,so that the same file number is not used on different cards . I guess that this would also apply to other Olympus "C" type cameras.
In the C-750UZ it's on page 159, but yes, it's the same.
dwaldmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:29 PM   #6
lg

Well, I had a little time this evening, so I tested out the AUTO setting for filenames and answered my own question. Thanks to both of you who confirmed that your manuals have the same documentation as mine...

The pictures are numbered sequentially from 1 to max pic count in the viewfinder, but the last 4 digits of the actual filename recorded with each picture is incremented. Even if you switch back and forth between the same two SmartMedia cards, the filenames are never duplicated! The only GOTCHA here is the pic number is incremented even when the date changes, so your first pic for the next day will continue where you left off the day before. I guess unless you take over 9999 pics in a single day, that pretty well takes care of the problem of duplicate filenames! Based on these findings, I set my cameras' settings to AUTO for Filename Reset.

I'd love to hear if anyone else out there uses the AUTO Filename setting and has an opinion or suggestion on the subject.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:33 PM   #7

But the downside of that is you don't know how many pictures total you have taken with your camera unless you count each days numbers...I prefer knowing how many pictures I've taken since I bought my camera.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:30 PM   #8

Mike,just wanted to thank you for sharing the file information in your first post,that's good stuff to know.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji
Mike,just wanted to thank you for sharing the file information in your first post,that's good stuff to know.
I remember last year how many posts there were asking that question, just thought I'd post the answer in advance...then this message can be referred to.

I admit that when I was going through some pictures from last year the Pa, Pb, Pc caused me to think what was going on, and then I remembered...maybe they should have just used A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L for the months instead of mixing numbers and letters.

I used to program in hexadecimal, and even I had to stop and think when I first encountered it.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:02 PM   #10

Page 141 in the oly c740 ref manual. Good infor thanks Mike.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote