Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:07 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Default

DonalDuc wrote:
"Same flower - with 10mpixel Olympus SP570 and 5mpixel HD-camcorder Aiptek Z500"

I cant' imagine what the mentioned pics should prove. Only the different contrast, in my opinion: nothing more, nothing less. Furthermore the first pic is 2.5 Mpixel and the second 1.8 Mpixel, while the cited cams are able to do better.

Ciao, magica
magica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 5:41 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Default

I'm seriously thinking about getting 570uz. But, I've heard bad things about its zoom ring. Can anybody help!?
blackBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 7:43 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

blackBee wrote:
Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about getting 570uz. But, I've heard bad things about its zoom ring. Can anybody help!?
It will take a little getting used to but, I really like it.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 2:03 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Default

gjtoth wrote:
Quote:
blackBee wrote:
Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about getting 570uz. But, I've heard bad things about its zoom ring. Can anybody help!?
It will take a little getting used to but, I really like it.
Thanks gjtoth.

I've read that it's hard to fine zoom. I don't mind getting used to it as long as I can zoom into what ever I want to.

I've also read complaints about color reproduction. If the colors seem"plain" in natural mode, what do you think about vivid mode?

Appreciate your help!

blackBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 4:56 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

blackBee wrote:
Quote:
gjtoth wrote:
Quote:
blackBee wrote:
Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about getting 570uz. But, I've heard bad things about its zoom ring. Can anybody help!?
It will take a little getting used to but, I really like it.
Thanks gjtoth.

I've read that it's hard to fine zoom. I don't mind getting used to it as long as I can zoom into what ever I want to.

I've also read complaints about color reproduction. If the colors seem"plain" in natural mode, what do you think about vivid mode?

Appreciate your help!
RE: the zoom ring -- practice. It's really not bad at all.

Taken today during a pre-storm breeze, very overcast. How's this look to you?





Vivid enough?


gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 4:38 AM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Very Cool. Thanks for the images gjtoth. I'm buying the SP570.
blackBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 7:19 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

blackBee wrote:
Quote:
Very Cool. Thanks for the images gjtoth. I'm buying the SP570.
Just remember... PRACTICE! You'll learn to love that zoom ring after a time of usage.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:00 AM   #28
Member
 
ftlosm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 31
Default

I am so close to buying either a Nikon P80, or this olympus 570uz, (waiting on that new canon sx10 as well) but since its not out ive been close to pulling the trigger on that nikon or the olympus, anyone used both and have anything to share plus or minus or should i just wait for the canon?



Love to see 3 of the same shot

1st no zoom

2nd 20x zoom

3rd the 20x zoom + 1.7 lens

(all 3 of the same shot for reference in high quality).



Bill
ftlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:36 AM   #29
Member
 
ftlosm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 31
Default

Wait, i didnt even realize it but it appears this is what i was looking for (the shots are so different didnt even realize it at first)


----------------------------------------------
Here i've set up my camera on a tripod hooked up to a remote shutter release pointing out of a window in my house. The target is the little dome on top of the Co-Op supermarket in the distance.

Zero zoom image (26mm):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2374153004/

Full zoom of camera (20x, 520mm):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2373306337/

Camera with TCON-17 lens (34x, 880mm): http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2374146432/


----------------------------------------------


I am a sucker for a LONG zoom, (that I can afford at least) just reading it looks bad from a distance (the 20x zoom) then thought ok if 20x looks bad what about the full 34x once the 1.7 lens was used but for what it is ( a long range digital) it sure looks good to me!

SLR is certainly on my wish/xmas list, but a 570UZ TODAY (for fun) is on my BUY list, just wish it took a standard SD card...

Bill



ftlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:06 PM   #30
Member
 
Poncho_48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 30
Default

Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.