Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:19 AM   #1

Default C-4000 "Bleached" Pictures - Please Help

I bought an Olympus C-4000 Zoom about 8 months ago and have regretted it ever since. I wanted a basic point and shoot camera because I have no advanced camera skills. Therefore, I keep all the settings on AUTO. Every picture I take outside looks "bleached out". They are all so white and bright. I've set the white balance to the Sunlight setting, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
EricT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:48 AM   #2

Without examples we can't know for sure what's going on...it's like saying that your car is making a noise and asking what the problem is.

It could be that something is wrong with the camera, it could be a setting you have incorrect, or where you're pointing the camera at:
http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo40.php3

We need to see some examples, with Exif info intact to really know what's going on.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:30 PM   #3

I understand that specific examples would be helpful, but I it's just plain and simple...all pictures taken outdoors turn out very bright and bleached (i.e. red shirt looks pink, etc). I have owned 6 digital cameras and have never had this problem before. As for where I'm pointing the camera, I simply point at my target and shoot. I just attended a festival this weekend along with my father. He and I both snapped the same subjects from the same positions and then compared the results. His pictures are vibrant and color-true, while mine are not. He is using a Canon A70 with all settings set to AUTO. I am using an Olympus C-4000 with all settings set to AUTO.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 2:44 PM   #4

Then there must be something wrong with your specific camera. I was going to say maybe your Exposure Compensation number (EV) was set to +2, but in Auto it should be disabled.

There are many happy C-4000 users; I was hoping one of them would respond to this message (I'm a C-700 user).

Try shooting outside in Program (P) mode...see if the results are any better.

Anyway, suggest you get in contact with Olympus.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 4:59 PM   #5

Check out some of the suggestions I found at the Olympus dpreview forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6007488

I noticed similar results with my C4000. I suggest that you experiment with exposure compensation settings. This has worked for me.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 5:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshell
I noticed similar results with my C4000. I suggest that you experiment with exposure compensation settings. This has worked for me.
Can you do exposure compensation on the C-4000 in Auto mode? I know you can't on the C-700.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 6:13 PM   #7

Yes, provided the LCD display is on in auto mode.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 8:22 PM   #8

I appreciate everyone's help. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Eric
Old Sep 26, 2003, 4:15 PM   #9

Your photos are overexposed, a trait common to many digicams. There is not necessarily anything wrong with your camera. You can remedy the problem by manually decreasing the exposure compensation or by bracketing.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote