Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 4, 2008, 8:13 PM   #1

Well after my SP510UZ was stolen while on vacation in Las Vegas, I had to buy a new camera. I mean I can't be camera-less for long, can I?

So I bought a SP570 UZ. I have to say it takes awesome pictures. I haven't delved much into its capabilities yet, but I did have one HUGE question/concern.

FILTERS.

The o-ring that I used with the SP510 allowed me to add many filters/polarizer, etc, however there aren't any threads to attached the ring to. Is there an equivalent for the SP570? i would really hate to have to leave my filters behind and not be able to use them.

On the Olympus website they have the CL10 ring, but it says that it isn't for filters.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 7:50 AM   #2

Raistlin wrote:
Quote:
Well after my SP510UZ was stolen while on vacation in Las Vegas, I had to buy a new camera. I mean I can't be camera-less for long, can I?

So I bought a SP570 UZ. I have to say it takes awesome pictures. I haven't delved much into its capabilities yet, but I did have one HUGE question/concern.

FILTERS.

The o-ring that I used with the SP510 allowed me to add many filters/polarizer, etc, however there aren't any threads to attached the ring to. Is there an equivalent for the SP570? i would really hate to have to leave my filters behind and not be able to use them.

On the Olympus website they have the CL10 ring, but it says that it isn't for filters.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Congratulations on your new camera! You'll need an adapter tube to use any filters with the SP-570UZ. It takes the same tube that the SP550 and SP560 uses. They can readily be obtained on eBay relatively inexpensively.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 3:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The adapter tube you are talking about is the CLA-10, which on Olympus's site says that this is not for filters.

That is the issue.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=202104-410
Old May 7, 2008, 3:40 PM   #4

Raistlin wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The adapter tube you are talking about is the CLA-10, which on Olympus's site says that this is not for filters.

That is the issue.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=202104-410
At the risk of sounding sarcastic (and it's not meant to be that way): What is it's purpose then? To screw onto the front of your camera just to take up space? I have my TCON-17 mounted on it! If it can't handle a filter, something's a little cock-eyed in this scenario, doncha think?
Old May 7, 2008, 3:42 PM   #5

I understand completely...i am just going by what is said on the olympus site and didn't want to order something that in the endi don't end up using.

I guess it isn't too expensive to give it a go
Old May 7, 2008, 4:02 PM   #6

Raistlin wrote:
Quote:
I understand completely...i am just going by what is said on the olympus site and didn't want to order something that in the endi don't end up using.

I guess it isn't too expensive to give it a go
I think the reason they say that is, unless you zoom out a little, you'll get vignetting. Also, there are knock-offs on eBay that are MUCH cheaper than $30 from Oly.

Incidentally, I've written Oly support and asked them how they expect one to mount a filter on this camera. Should be interesting.
Old May 7, 2008, 4:25 PM   #7

Please post their response please, I am interested to hear what they have to say. I would shudder to think they deliberately cut off that entire market.
Old May 7, 2008, 4:44 PM   #8

Raistlin wrote:
Quote:
Please post their response please, I am interested to hear what they have to say. I would shudder to think they deliberately cut off that entire market.
Actually, I think they DID! I was pointed to this solution by a guy on the DPR Oly forum.

http://www.pemaraal.com/index.php?page=Galileo
Old May 14, 2008, 4:01 PM   #9

I have the SP-550UZ and am contemplating getting the 570UZ. I love this camera! But about the adapter tube CLA-10; I got one because I also bought the TCON17 and the tube is needed as a mount. I, like you, want to mount filters on the extending lens. I don't know about the 570 but on the 550, I looked closely and THAT lens has threads which implies that it should be able to take a filter or at least a step-up ring (I've got 55mm filters I'ld like to use) I emailed OLY and I got a reply stating that the threads were 38.5mm!!! Great, nobody makes them (or I haven't been able to locate a vendor):angry:You can try emailing support and see if you have the same size or if they MIGHT have used a "normal" size

I also just located this website under the lens & filter forum. http://nextphoto.net/SP550.htmIt solves my problem; I'll get the 55mm adapter
akey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:57 PM   #10

I currently own a C4000, C5050, SP-500UZ and now the SP-570UZ. The C5050 is my favorite camera, for the f1.8 lens & IR remote control. I have had the SP-570 for about 5 days, the only thng I miss , is the IR remote control. The wide 26mm is great. The super macro (.4cm) is great. The hot shoe is great. The telephoto (520mm) with IS is great. Why the "alarm clock" beats the crap out of me. The optics. ED & AS glass , this is great stuff. If only this camera had the IR remote control. So far, I have printed 11x14 prints, they look as great , as 11x14's from my C5050. So, besides purchasing a DSLR, this is a great camera. Yeh, an CF card would be nice (the C5050 uses both xD & CF), but that's Olympus.
Kcblair is offline   Reply With Quote