Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 11, 2008, 6:28 PM   #1

Needing a wide angle/zoom camera for sporting events. How does the 570uz do? Any pics? Does it work well in low light? Thanks!
OrlandoRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2

Hi: The 570UZ is an overall very good camera, with a monster of a zoom range. The camera is more complicated then other choices, and really needs a lot of learning time to really get familiar with it's many features. So be prepared to for a steep learning curve.

For people who do not take the time to practice with the camera, they tend to be discouraged with their results for anything other than normal shots. It seems to be more successful with experienced digital photographers; it's not a camera forsomeone buying their first digital.

The camera is rather slow in auto focusing in low light, especially at the long end of the zoom range. This is a weakness shared by most brands of point & shoot cameras. But it also has manual focusing, and for sporting events from a long distance, you can pre-set the manual focus, and not worry about lag time.

Shooting in RAW is also somewhat slow, but this camera was really designed for folks who usually shoot JPEGs,so that is not really a problem. Overall, it's hard to find a non dSLR with the features for the money. While a dSLR would give faster focus in low light, the cost of matching the lens reach of the 570UZ would cost considerablymore money.

This can be a very good cameras if you are willing to invest in the learning time to explore it's capabilities above the normal point & shoot level.

Good luck.

Steve R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 10:11 PM   #3

Thanks Steve, I just hope it is not too complicated for my wife to use. Will read up on it some more. Jerry
Old May 13, 2008, 1:53 PM   #4

I have the 560 and I love it. The 550 had some focus issues and a few other bugs to get out but they took care of most of it by the time the 560 came out and from what I'm seeing on the oly forum the 570 is even better. Here's a shot from the 560 at full zoom and cropped from around 25 feet. You can get a good deal on the 560 now as the 570 is the new guy on the block. Cameta auctions on ebay has some good package deals and are reputable, I used them and they were very good to deal with.
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:30 PM   #5

how good 570UZ perform against FJ-8100, for example ?
i shoot mostly lanscape and scies(sunsets and etc).

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:04 PM   #6

"The camera is rather slow in auto focusing in low light, especially at the long end of the zoom range"

i am an sp570 owner and i agree totally

i may add: in low light is often inaccurate, especially in Full Auto: it does not recognize what to focus in foreground and background and makes mistakes.

That force me to set it to shutter priority in order to get the central focus target (more accurate) and obtain the best shutter aperture (to gain light).

With this camerea, you need to play a littlebefore get good results.
skyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:20 PM   #7

Thanks for all the comments. After the problems with the 570UZ I decided to go with a Nikon D60 DSLR. Jerry
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:22 PM   #8

Good luck with you new camera.

The downside of the Nikon/Canon dSLRs is the fact that there is no IS built into the camera. You have to buy each lens with the IS built into the lens, resulting in more cost and weight. Over a period of time your cost will be much more than with a dSLR with built in IS. Cameras with built in IS means that you have IS on every piece of glass that you mount on your camera. dSLRs that have built in IS include Oly, Sony, Pentax, etc. PersonallyI find the Oly E-520 hard to beat for size, handling and performance for the money.

Enjoy your new camera.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:27 PM   #9

Thanks Steve, Tried out the Oly 420 and 520 ,Canons and Sony models, and did not like the way that they felt in my hands. Just didn't feel as good as the Nikons. I love my Nikon D60. Lens have VR built in and pictures are unbelievably good, even in automatic mode. There are alot of available lens for the camera and being a novice the two I have 18-55vr and 55-200vr should do me fine for awhile. Happy Shooting! Jerry