Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 29, 2003, 5:40 PM   #11

You might want to jump into the instruction manual and take a gander at what is in there..... not a flame, but there is lots in that manual. I just got the camera, and took a whole lot of bad shots till I spent some time reading to figure out what all those settings meant.

I found that I liked my pics better when I set the camera to "soft" contrast then did an "unsharpen mask" in PS Elements to bring the sharpening up to what I thought looked good rather than using the on-camera "normal" or "hard" sharpening settings -- sometimes my "normal" sparpening pics were too hard and seemed too contrasty. "Hard" setting is all but useless.

As for colors, I found that using spot metering rather than the iESP metering worked better when you were trying to get good pics of people or specific things rather than the scenery. That way, the part of your subject you want for the pic is metered correctly (like your kid's face and not the shadowy tree behind him). That is where using flash can be really helpful too.

The other thing I found helps is fixing the pic with photoshop to get the whites and blacks right. It makes the photo go from looking dingy or so-so to looking great.

As for the focus issue -- I would test it out at half-button push in the mid zoom areas on a subject that has lots of vertical lines (like a picket fence or some trees, and if it won't auto-focus, send it in to Olympus for repair. I just sent my 2-week old reman C-2100 back in for problems with stuck pixels (Bright red pixels smack in the middle of the frame.) I had *no* problems with customer service or warranty repair at all. They said "Send it back with some sample pics and we will fix it."

Best regards

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 5:59 PM   #12

Had my c2100 for a year now and taken around 10,000 pictures with it... I ahve exactly the same settings now as with all those pics... So it aint a reading the manual thing
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:57 PM   #13

had no idea you had it that long..... no problem... I know that not reading the manual was most of my problem.....

Anyway, if it is all of a sudden doing this after a year of working great, it sounds like something is broke.

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:11 PM   #14
lg

Tony, are you using spot metering? If so, turn it off and see if you get better results. Also, are these pics taken with a teleconverter?
If not, they appear a little softer than I am accustomed at 380mm. Also, check sharpness setting and ensure it is set to normal. Off the top of my head, that's all the suggestions I have.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 4:41 AM   #15

Thanks

I wasnt on spot but just changed to spot in an effort to get better ...

Anyway I ahve done a lot of testing since and it all seems to be working fine.. But on two occasions my pics have come out terrible...

Could it be the intense sunlight? I dont know.. maybe I jumped the gun and panicked and it isnt the camera ...

So confusing... more testing every day this week to see if all is well before this wekends game...

sharpness... eeerm its not called that is it.. because i cant find it ??

Again thanks for the input guys.. most appreciated... sorry to sound like a no brainer half the time ... but the only stupid question is a not asked question eh
Old Oct 6, 2003, 7:58 AM   #16

Default UZI defect?

Tony,

I looked through your pictures of the 4th of October game.

I bet your camera is absolutely o.k., which was not the case with the weather that day. That's what the pictures suggest.

I was impressed with some of your pictures, like 755,739,740or 785. I didn't know that the UZI can take such excellent sports pictures. You also seem to be pretty experienced.

The only strange thing I noticed was the sky of your first sample picture. It looks like a combination of maximum saturation and sharpening, very unique.

I think you got caught in a sort of panic for no reason.

Cheers, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 8:10 AM   #17

Your absoloutly right. I went out on the 28th to the Mascot grand national (In OTHER FOOTBAL section) and got some of the best shots I ahve taken.. Luverly and clear but I tried not to use zoom and panicked all the way home.. then used it on the 4th with usual zoom and all worked well.. It was a dul miserable day so...

Thanks for your comment I am still point and click and it does look like I panicked.. blind panick when seeing the pics..But because the ocus did stop working a week or two before and only fixed from shaking the camer... I had put 2 and 2 together and got the preverbial 5.. Its just that out of the thousands of picks nothing like that has ever happened before.

Sorry for the false problems group... I will go stand in a corner for the rest of the day

I got one great colourfull pic of the mascots that I got developed at 15x10 and entering into a compo.. its printed brilliantly

Again.. I ahve panicked Sorry.. But the good news is my treasured uzi is working great