Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 15, 2003, 2:52 PM   #11

Great news, Smilynn

It was a shame you were missing the opportunity to capture those moments with your new grandchild.

Now you can take capture all the "unforgettable moments"!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:39 PM   #12

We have had the same problem with our 2020, or did. It got stolden in Mexico last week. So now shopping for a C-5050. However, to get back to my reply. Olympus should make a semi-soft black rubber lens cap that would flip itself off the lens if someone does turn the camera on by mistake. Engineering, you listening?? Thats a sicking feeling. I know. Been there, done that.
Bob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:32 PM   #13

FWIW:

Don't be fooled into thinking that the Olycap:

http://www.olympuscap.homestead.com/

will solve the problem of switching on the camera with the lens cap in place. While the advert leads one to think that the Olycap will simply spring out of the way when the lens barrel extends, this is farthest from the actual case. The Olycap snaps closed with such gusto that it takes quite a bit of force to manually open it--much more force than the lens extension servo can exert.

That being said, I want to add that I bought and use the Olycap on my C3020 because I was tired and annoyed at the lens cap dangling on its tether always getting in the way. The Olycap overcame this problem quite swimingly. I am pleased with the Olycap, and its price was right--just don't expect too much of it.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 9:44 AM   #14

jawz, you would think that the designer would have weakened the detent on the cap that would have made it more easy to open with much less pressure. I can't see from the photo, but it must not have a spring loaded flap, but protursions or nibs that just snap into a depression within the hinged part. I think I will order on if we do buy another Olympus. I now have for my own use a Minolta 7i, and my wifes Olympus C-2020 she got lifted, made much better photos, and was much more easy to use. Thanks for the information.
Bob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:34 AM   #15

I use an adapter tube, 41mm to 55mm, with a uv filter on it. The adapter tube provides the ability to protect the lens and to add my TCON17 telephoto lens. This adapter tube if for my C4040. I also use an adpater tube on my c740 for the same purpose. Now I do not worry about the lens cap. My sister bought the Kodak 6490 and the lens cap fits on the lens, Oly you should pay attention.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 9:52 PM   #16

Bob H-
The cap is spring loaded and has an over center point such that when the cap is opened more than about 50 degrees, the spring flips the cap back behind the rubber lens tube to avoid any shadowing/vignetting. When the cap is returned to [almost] closed position, the over center spring leaves the cap ajar. To close the cap tight enough to prevent dust intrusion requires that you 'snap' the cap into the rubber tube. The cap has a slightly protruding ring around its perimeter and the tube has a corresponding groove. When the two are clicked into place [mated] there is a good dust seal formed, but at the same time this arrangement requires quite a bit of force to "un-mate" the cap from the tube. It is this force that foils the lens extension servo motor.

Phil Gibson's suggestion of 'armoring' the lens will avoid the lens cap crash problem and protect the integrity of the lens from both mechanical abuse [dings] and finger smudges on the front element. I have so far resisted going this route (my resistance is weakening, however) because of the added length/bulk of the extension tube, adaptor rings, and filter.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote