Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 30, 2003, 5:28 AM   #1

Default Help! Did I kill my new camera?

ops: I'm a newbie grandma with her first digital: an Olympus C-3000ZOOM. It was working perfectly until I did a bad bad thing - forgot for a split second the info. in the TINY note at the bottom of page 36 which says: "do not turn on the power without removing the lens cap first", and did precisely that. (It is not a problen to do so with my camcorder). I only wanted to erase a pic and was not intending to take a photo so simply forgot to remove the lenscap. In a half second I realized my mistake and turned the camera off, but electricity, being far faster than myself has done ????? and now the camera seems completely non-functional. Could some kind soul explain to me what has happened and advise me as to what I should do after I finish kicking myself into the next time zone? So far I have only tried the "P" and the " :arrow: " on the mode dial, nothing else. Many Thanks! PS: I'm not a complete idiot...some of my parts are missing. GREAT Website!
smilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:38 PM   #2

First remove the lens cap (in case the camera powers on).

Then open the battery door for a few seconds (to reset the camera) and then close the door.

Try powering on.

By the way, what batteries are you using? Have you tried a fresh set (if you are using alkalines, they don't last very long).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:34 AM   #3

Default I killed my brand new C-3000ZOOM

Thanks for your quick response, Mike! Before I read your message I tried one thing. I took the included CR-V3 lithium batteries out and tested them. The results were 2.8V and 2.7V respectively. Put them back in, closed the door, took the lenscap off, tried the "P" and the " :arrow: " settings on the mode dial again and it still won't power up. Any further suggestions?
Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:43 PM   #4
Dee

I've never had a C-3000, but with the othe Oly's I've owned, if you leave the batteries out of the camera for more than 2 hours, the camera resets to factory defaults. Try that.

Other than that, I have no clue. I've heard of gears gettings stripped byt not killing the camera byt leaving the lens cap on.

Dee
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 9:28 AM   #5

I owned the C3000 and it will reset to factory defaults if you leave out the batteries for several hours. I would leave the batteries out overnight.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:00 AM   #6

Smilynn: try replacing the batteries with new ones or freshly recharged ones, do not rely on voltage reading to check batteries unless they are under load.
Jorge Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 10:03 AM   #7

I hate to say it, but I have a friend who burned the motor(?) out of his C-3040 by leaving the lens cap on when he turned the camera on. It doesn't take long to do this. He sent it back to Olympus, they repaired it, and it works fine now. I hope this is not the case for you and you've resolved the problem by now...

I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with such a bad lens cover design.
dgoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 5:32 PM   #8

Hi Smilynn...

Just curious...how have you and your Olympus C-3000 fared?

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 8:03 PM   #9

Default Thank you each & every one! Here is the update....

I took the batteries out yesterday afternoon and reinserted them a few minutes ago (3:00 PM), but I still have no power in the "P" mode nor to the LCD monitor/control panel. Now, I'm headed out to buy a new pair of Olympus CR-V3 Lithium batteries and try again. Jorge from Peru was right about not being able to rely on my battery test because they were not under a load when I tested them and without power to the display the camera can't tell me if its batteries are low. This is the only response from tech support at Olympus that made any attempt at an explanation so far: "What can happen if the lens cap is not removed is that the lens would be stuck on the rail and will not go out, that would also cause the camera to shut down because it will generate an internal error." I am not altogether sure what that means. It doesn't explain why there is no power to the LCD display. Or does it? I am pressing them for more information, but they havn't been very forthcoming. Someone elso suggested a new SmartMedia card (even though mine was empty at the time of the "accident" )...what do you think? Hopefully one (1) second wasn't enough time to strip gears or burn motor. I'm guessing that those questions can't be answered until there is power first. (If the motor is somehow connected to the LCD monitor/control panel, then my guess could easily be wrong). For those of you who are interested: I've also been running this in the "Newbies" forum section where there are some more responses.....the Internet is a Marvelous Thing, thanks to people like YOU! I'll keep posting until the saga ends.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:03 PM   #10

Default it's fixed!!!

The great God of Glitch has smiled upon me and (with you're help and advice) the camera is working fine again...new batteries did the trick. The motor didn't burn up or the gears get stripped because it was truned off quickly enough. And the advice not to trust the battery test reading was 'right on'. Regarding the awful lens cap situation...I found one of those soft Crown Royal bags (purple with the gold drawstrings), put my camera in it, and threw the lenscap in the trash...then fished it out and put it in a pocket of my camera case...just in case.

Also, you can find some great alternative lens cover suggestions and links in the responses to me posted in the "Newbie Forum"...

Thanks SO much!! -- Smilynn again