Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:30 PM   #1

Default C-750 Add on lenses

I'm looking to buy an add on lense for my Oly C-750.
If I were to by a Tcon 17 I believe it is rated at 1.7x.
Does this mean that It'll magnify that amount?
So my 10x optical zoom will now be 17x optical zoom correct?
If anyone has this lense could you please show me the differences betwen the 3 zoom levels as I'm very curious to see.....
A picture taken with no zoom....a picture at full optical zoom (10x) and at full 17x zoom I suppose with the TCON.
Any other lenses (macro and zoom) anyone can reccomend me to would be helpful as well.
Thanks in advance.
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:44 PM   #2

Default Re: C-750 Add on lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickShooter
If I were to by a Tcon 17 I believe it is rated at 1.7x.
Does this mean that It'll magnify that amount?
Yes, instead of being a 38-380mm it will be a 64-640mm (rounded).

Quote:
So my 10x optical zoom will now be 17x optical zoom correct?
No, you camera will still be 10x...the X factor is a ratio between the closest telephoto to the longest wide angle; whether the lens is on (64-640mm) or off (38-380mm) it's still 10x. Of course, if you're considering on AND off (38-640mm), it IS 17x.

However, if you had a .58 wide angle lens instead which would give you 22-220mm, and you considered on and off (22mm-380mm), you would *also* have 17x!

You may want to check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group...someone there may have that teleconverter as well as other (Raynox) teleconverters:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:51 PM   #3

Also check out the Raynox C-750 page which shows various Raynox lenses on the C-750:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...50uz/index.htm

Each lens has a link to an example page with and without the additional lens.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:10 PM   #4

Well I must admit my ignorance as to what you stated Mike so please allow me to rephrase the question.I know nothing about how the millimeter ratings work in "film" cameras.

Basically I'm wondering if my Olympus C750 which has a 10x optical zoom was mated to a 1.7x lense would I get roughly twice the zoom power?
10x optical zoom x 1.7 = 17x total zoom ???

If so am i correct in assuming that I can zoom to the fullest and something that is 17 feet away will look as though its roughly 1 foot away?

I'm also a little lost on this fact...as soon as I attach the lense am I automatically 1.7x zoomed? So any zooming in or out on my camera will be multiplied by that amount?

Sorry if I seem a bit dull here but add on lenses are new to me
Old Sep 30, 2003, 8:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Basically I'm wondering if my Olympus C750 which has a 10x optical zoom was mated to a 1.7x lense would I get roughly twice the zoom power?
10x optical zoom x 1.7 = 17x total zoom ???
You'd get 1.7x of the zoom in capability that you had before (or 70% more), but you also lose 1.7x of the wide angle capability when you have the teleconverter on the camera. You have to remember that the teleconverter doesn't just affect the full zoom, but it also affects the full range of the lens including full wide angle as well.

Quote:
If so am i correct in assuming that I can zoom to the fullest and something that is 17 feet away will look as though its roughly 1 foot away?
No. First off, you didn't consider the focal length of the eye which is around 50mm, and the C-750 multiplies that by only 7.6X (50mm-380mm). The 10x is a measurement of the camera from full wide angle to full telephoto, but the camera has more wide angle capability than the human eye (38mm for the camera vs. 50mm for the eye). To be technically correct the C-750 has 7.6x zoom in capacity compared to the human eye, and 1.32x wider than the human eye...it's the full range from full wide to full telephoto of the camera that's 10x!

A 1.7x teleconverter increases that by 70% or a total of 12.92x (7.6x X 1.7x) closer than that of the human eye.

Maybe someone else can explain it better, but those are the facts.

p.s. The mm numbers are the 35mm equivalent focal lengths that are used to describe digital camera focal lengths.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:49 PM   #6
lg

I just got my TCON 1.7 in the mail yesterday, and if what you are looking for is the simple answer, "Yes." is correct. For long telephoto, your 380mm zoom is 1.7x greater, or 626mm. The observed image at full telephoto is 70% larger than you are accustomed to.

The teleconverter doesn't focus well under about 30 feet or so, and there is vignetting if you aren't zoomed in to at least 75% of the full range of your zoom. However, there is absolutely no light loss that I can tell, and at 75% zoom, you're still at f2.8! At full zoom, it maxes out at 3.5. The sharpness isn't quite as good as the camera without the teleconverter, but it beats all others I have seen hands down. There's a little CF (purple fringing), but not too bad, and this too was expected.

I expected everything except being unable to focus under 30 feet, which is no problem. Every lens has a minimum focal length, and the only time I'll be using this is for long telephoto. Here's the test photos you requested:

wide angle
full zoom
full zoom plus TCON 1.7

The pictures are reduced to 800x600; otherwise they are unedited. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:36 AM   #7

Thank you both for your help I believe I'm clear on this subject now.
I was confused about the Olympus 10x zoom lense. On an outing with a friend who has an old Pentax film camera I noticed that what I viewed and she viewed through our respective cameras was different.It looked as though my camera zoomed IN somehow
this explains what you were telling me.
It would seem then that the zoom capabilities of this lense would not add to much to my camera seeing as I can only zoom to about 75% of my cameras range to avoid fringing with this lense.
Thanks again
Old Oct 5, 2003, 8:32 PM   #8

I just received my TCON 17 Friday. I had time today to shoot some sample shots with my C740. What a great telephoto lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 5:27 AM   #9

I was comparing the photos with telezoom with and without tcon. I came up that the zooming percent was at about 62% Well still not bad considering it's over 50% of the maximum zoom.

The tcon image was reduced to the original size in tele w/o tcon photo and it was of 494*373 pixels (from the 800*600 resolution). This is how I got the percentage.

DriniS is offline   Reply With Quote