Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:10 PM   #1

Below is a series of increasing telephoto settings with the new Olympus 570UZ. The lowest setting for wide angle is shown first. All photos were taken using "M" where I could control both shutter and aperture settings. I set the shutter to 1/40 sec and the aperture to f 5. Also, I used ASA=64 and the 10mpixel FINE settings. Also, I set the digital focus to "ON" so that I could achieve maximum digital focus over the 20x optical zoom. I wanted to see if this was simply "empty magnification" or really useful. Also, I used MANUAL FOCUS (thanks to Whiskey!). To achieve this, you need to turn the switch on the side of the lens to "manual focus". Then you can use the telephoto and turn it up to the max. Then hold down the "ok" button until you see the horizontal manual focus scale. Be sure in your "menu" setting to set the control of manual focus to the RING (not to the buttons or dial). Now move the ring slowly and when you do this you will see a higher mag inset showing realtime focusing. Boy is this critical! Play with these settings and get it exactly right. When you do, then snap the shot. I was simply amazed at the optical clarity and ability to magnify with this optical system. Being trained as a microscopist for both light and electron microscopy, I could truly appreciate that I had a magnificent optical instrument in the new Olympus 570uz.

One can even see clearly the individual wires of of the chickenwire fence hexagons. The camera is more than 60 feet from the fence. Naturally, I used a tripod. Well, I'm impressed and I hope that you will try playing around with the manual focus option. One thing for certain, you cannot achieve this resolution with any ASA higher than 64. This tells me that the camera was probably designed for optional performance at this ASA. Of course, it is nice to have higher ASAs but I would try to keep everything at 64 when humanly possible.

Let me know of your reactions to this remarkable telephoto capability of this camera. Next, I will show you something amazing about the 570uz's ability to magnify! It is also a first rate dissecting scope!

Malcolm

Austin, Texas

July 7, 2008

============

1 P7061073aP- This is the wide angle setting. Note the small black circle. This is the area that I will zoom in on subsequent photos.

2 P7061072bP-This is an intermediate optical zoom again showing the encircled area. At this mag, you still cannot recognize the chickenwire fence.

3 P7061071cP- Another increasing level of optical zoom

4 P7061070dP- This is the maximum optical zoom setting at 20x. If you enlarge this, you can see the details of the chickenwire windings;however, the image is even better in the next photo.

5 P7061069eP-this is MAXIMUM zoom with optical and digital combined. Here you can see everything! It is not empty magnification! Since 10 mpixels are recording everything, you gain from the digital mag over the optical, probably by a factor of 2-3x. One would never know that he/she would be getting this resolution until after the image is captured. You need a shutter of at least 1/40sec. I simply could not keep the camera steady, even with image stabilizer on.

Hope you enjoy these! I am new at this so if the photos do not upload, please give me advice on how to do this.

Malcolm

===========

Attached Images

rmbrownjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:22 AM   #2

amazing
especially valuable scores, because you are Pro microscopist/

might be very useful for wildlife photohunters
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 4:34 PM   #3

congratz. those are very nice shots. i have always been amazed by the lenses olympus uses on sp-550/60/70uz models. even tho there is some sharpness issue at telephoto end, it cant really get much better with a 520mm lens that also goes all the way down to 26mm (thanks to ED lenses they used).

once you get the hang of it you'll be much faster with your manual focusing, its too bad olympus actually prefered to make it motorized even for MF. which adds a considerable lag or reaction time to your adjustments. it would be very nice to see olympus disengage the motor completely in manual modes, which i believe would make the camera alot more responsive. alot of the times you miss or pass by the magnification or focusing u want and have to go back and forth a little.

after all olympus sp-570 is such a capable camera that puts almost all the competition to shame (in a lot of ways) bringing brilliant results (570uz is alittle over priced in my oppinion, but $199 for sp550 is incredibly competative)

whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:48 PM   #4

whisky_n_whisky wrote:
Quote:
after all olympus sp-570 is such a capable camera that puts almost all the competition to shame (in a lot of ways) bringing brilliant results (570uz is alittle over priced in my oppinion, but $199 for sp550 is incredibly competative)
The lowest price I've found for the SP550 is $217 at Adorama. Where can you buy it for $199?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:28 AM   #5

radioshack canada has them for $199 till 10th of july. (its now called circuit city instead of radioshack here). u have to check store availability first as they are disaperaring really fast.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:32 PM   #6

I have been looking at the 570 and the FZ18. The Oly feels better to hold. How do you find the speed of the camera for taking action shots ? Do you find the controls easy to use ? From feedback I have recieved that most lean to the Panny . What made you buy the Oly.

Thanks

Russell
Toy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 3:30 AM   #7

I've been following this thread & others like it very closely too, & I'm afraid im stuck in the same boat,the 570or the FZ18. At the moment I feel like tossing a coin to buy one or the other. Who'd a thought buying a camera could be such adilemma.

Im off to Burmain a couple of weeks to live for a few yrs& really want a good camera to capture all the memories &I'm very much into wildlife, I read the super macro is exellent on the oly & I'm very impressed with the resultsthat you can get on full-zoom.I guess the only thing that has stopped me buying the 570 is hearing how complicated the menu can be, im a bit of a novice at the mo so I dont really want something too brain teasing. I'll be interesetd to see some of your super macro shots.

Cheers...Scotty.

McBurmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 3:00 PM   #8

its a very very difficult choice for a lot to choose between olympus and panasonic, from my experiance with especially olympus i can make a short list which might help you decide. i'll tell you cons and pros about olympus (i think i already posted it somewhere but i'll re do this shortly).

olympus sp series (any of 550/560/570uz)

for me the cons are:

they are very slow cameras: even tho they are marketed with the high iso labels etc on them and their extreme zoom, they are nowhere close to being a sports shooters camera. their autofocus (depending on the AF mode you chose) isnt very accurate and can drive you nuts in EIS mode, you can speed this up with a little experiance and using full time AF etc. but still results get olympus nowhere to be a sporting event camra. You can use Manual focus, but this time you're gonna have to deal with so many buttons dials rings etc. still not very efficient, only experiance with these cameras will get you somewhat fast, but you'll still miss alot of action.

below average or just average iso: anything with iso50-100 will turn out great on sp550 and iso64-100 with 560/570, but at iso200 u'll immediately start finding lots of fine grainy noise everywhere, which is ok because i usually disable noise reduction right off because its too aggresive, and i mean its way too aggresive, (i'll add some images later on to let you know what i mean). as soon as you enable noise reduction you'll find your pictures lose incredible amount of detail and noise reduction somewhat puts a layer of cross hatched pattern all over the image. which makes say, grass look like something else. i use iso400 for emergancy only and iso800 for pretty much nothing but for proving an event took place. they market this camera as a sports event camera and alot of key marketing features of this camera relies on this high iso, so it affects more then just aspect. like high speed shooting mode where camera takes 15-20 images/second is not allowed with iso speeds below iso400 so as u can imaging results dont turn out very good.

color reproduction: is also just average, olympus cameras except evolt dslr series hate the red color andproduce a dull orange/purple color. this is especially more evident while shooting indoors with flash or with studio lights, which makes one to think it must be a white balance issue but, in fact it is not. even if you use manual white balance and push the in camera color saturation to max this issue continues. outdoors is completely fine as red gets blended very nicely in the green and other colors of the nature and does't bother your eyes as much. a post porcessing software is often needed to correct colors.

controls: i dont think this is an issue for me as you get used to your camera most of the things become second nature and also u can set 4 modes for your self with every single setting pre-set manualy by you. i always have 4 modes fully covered depending on the shooting situations i'll encounter that day. like a high speed shooting mode set to iso400 with my favorite settings like n/r off sharpness increased with full time AF on etc. or my best quality settings like iso strictly set to 50 and digital zoom disabled n/r off and image quality set to raw with shq jpg copy at the same time.

lenses: yes this camera unfortunately doesn't have the best lens. while having one of the best in class lenses it doesn't produce as sharp pictures as say a lecia lens ( used on guess which camera oh was it panasonic ? ). but i have to say they are doing a great job in most cases with acceptable chromatic aberation on the telephoto end and great results on the wide end.

ok next post will be pros about the camera. :-)
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:36 AM   #9

OK bring on the Pros
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:36 AM   #10

OK bring on the Pros