Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 3, 2003, 10:18 AM   #1

Default Oly C-750 or new Panasonic Z10?

Okay, I was deciding between the C-750 and the new Kodak DX6490, and decided on the C-750. Now I read that Panasonic is coming out with a 12x 4MP Z10 next month, and the analysis process is starting all over again! I'm thinking of waiting for the Z10 now... :?

Any thoughts from those of you who have used the C-750 extensively as to how these two might compare and which would be a better choice (strictly on the basis of picture quality)?
dgoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2003, 11:19 AM   #2

Reading the press release makes my mouth drop. I still want to wait for the reviews by the pros. If the camera is as good as it sounds it will be very difficult to find one before next summer, my guess. Assuming that it will do all that the press release says and takes great photos, it should be worth the wait.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:48 PM   #3

I too was trying to decide between the kodak DX6490 and the c-750. and decided to go with the OLY
Only now it seems this panasonic might be worth looking into, thus throwing a monkey wrench into my plans :shock:

Still I am leaning to the OLY as i see there is lots of support from fellow users, and also, i don't know what the price is on the Panisonic...I can get the 750 for near $500 online.
gogriz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogriz321
also, i don't know what the price is on the Panisonic...I can get the 750 for near $500 online.
The retail price quoted in the Panasonic press release is $599; however on the Panasonic website it's listed as $999. No one seems to be quite sure which is correct at this point. I'm really hoping it's $599, although that seems too good to be true.

Note: I just checked the Panasonic forum and there is verification from Panasonic that the price will indeed by $599.95. :lol:
dgoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:40 PM   #5

I've handled over 20 cameras today to try them out how they handle, how they feel in my hands, controls, everything but picture quality...I have to say my favorite is still my C-700. Some of the ones I've handled were the Panasonic FZ1 & FZ10, the Minolta Z1, the Kodak 6490, etc.

The point of my message is you can't go on specs alone...you have to actually go and TRY the cameras out...you'd do no less for a car. If you don't feel comfortable using it, you're not going to get great pictures out of it no matter what the specs say.

BTW, got my hands on a 14mp (that's not a typo) Kodak dSLR...NICE (but it's too big and clumsy for regular use, but nice for studio use).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 10:39 PM   #6

I think you need IS in a 10 or 12X tele. If you are going to carry a tripod you might just as well carry a DLSR with some good lenses and get really great shots.

It appears the ZX10 might be another P&S like the ZX1 though. Iíll wait for the reviews but I donít want a camera without manual exposure capability. They are listing auto exposure modes only on their site.

If that is the case Iíll be back in wait and hope mode that someone puts IS on a camera like the Z1 or 750.

Iím not a big fan of making a decision based mainly on trying several in a store. It takes a while to become accustomed to a camera and initial impressions arenít always permanent. It is a good idea to include that in the decision process, but the specs and capabilities are what are important. For example, you donít know what a great tool a live histogram in the EVF can be until you use it for a while. I think it is especially bad advice for a beginner. A rangefinder type optical finder looks great in the store until you find you have to consult a LCD to do everything and have no feedback. And you have to get blurry hand held shots with a 10X zoom in less than perfect light to understand why you need IS.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:08 AM   #7

Dennya on the Panasonic site linked this site: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...%2Fmanual.html It appears there is a manual mode although it isnít listed in the English specs.

There doesnít seem to be a Pano mode, but that is a waste of time if you donít have proprietary software to use it in. It appears Panasonic is just bundling standard ArcSoft software.

Nothing about file formats I can find. I really like raw mode. Even the super quality JPG that Minolta has started adding would be better than standard JPG. TIFF is too cumbersome. Raw is a third the size and better.

In all it looks like a terrific camera. If you are going to get something with a long lens it might as well have IS as long as the reviews of a production model show good photographic quality. Iíll probably get one if the production images look good.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 2:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
There doesn’t seem to be a Pano mode, but that is a waste of time if you don’t have proprietary software to use it in.
Not always a waste of time...although the Olympus pan aid isn't all that helpfull, but I've seen some cameras that displays 15% of the previous picture you're taken in pan mode so you can match it up IN CAMERA so you know you have a complete progression.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 4:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
There doesnít seem to be a Pano mode, but that is a waste of time if you donít have proprietary software to use it in.
Not always a waste of time...although the Olympus pan aid isn't all that helpfull, but I've seen some cameras that displays 15% of the previous picture you're taken in pan mode so you can match it up IN CAMERA so you know you have a complete progression.
Good point Ė and that would be handy with EVF. With my C50 I just use the 85% view that the optical finder gives and align the edges. But EVF gives 100% and a guide would help. The Camedia software will stitch the images fine when I do that but other software like Panorama Factory wants more overlap.

I use the panorama primarily to make up for not having wide angle. If you take two pano shots with the camera held vertically you end up with an 8Mp shot that is a bit better than 28mm. My Minolta D7i doesnít have a pano assist at all and I have to use more overlap to be sure, but I donít take that many panos with it as it has a 28mm wide lens.