Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 18, 2008, 3:11 PM   #1

well I dropped the 550UZ last night..and now I have the "zoom error". in other words my camera is foobarred. My bf thought he would throw in the " well your camera didn'dt seem to work right from the beginning anyway..: granted he is right ( see my posts 550 uz vs 740 camedia) BUT I really wasn't ready to buy a new one..I have been eying the 570, however it's still a tad out of my price range..I am sticking with the Olympus mainly because I have already invested in the lens or I would try teh FUJI.

so now the question. the 560 in comparision to the 550? I can't seem to see much difference in the specs other than the MP size. I am not sure that larger pixels are necessarily a good thing either..I have been reading on it as it almost seems there is more noise with the larger pixel cameras.

But anyway, back to my question.. Should I wait and buy the 570 when the price comes down or is the 560 a good investment? My 550 was not up to par..possibly because it was a refurb when I bought it, but my bf's was a much better camera. So now I am leary on buying another 550.. I still have my camedia which I can use in the interim., and with the lens and adaptor it equates to the same zoom.

I would really appreciate some feedback..and please pardon the mistakes..my keyboard is acting up.

Have a good one!

shersart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:45 PM   #2

Hi: Go ahead and go for a new 570. Buy it from a reputable dealer.Both Adorama and Beach Camera have it for $409, and B&H Photo for $412. These are reputable camera companies who have been around for many years, and are not internet scam artists that are so abundant on line.

One warning, a rather steep learning curve to get the full potential out of this camera.

As far as waiting for the price to drop: Yes, the price of most modern cameras will continue to drop, or give you more for the same price. But you are giving up the use of a camera trying to wait for a better price. Amortized over the course of a typical 3 - 5 year ownership, the cost difference is not worth the wait.

Good luck,

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:21 PM   #3

Hi Steve..I think it's a bit pricier here in canada BUT I think you are right and I think I already knew the answer...

ok, so then next question I have is where oh where do I go to start learning how to use these cameras properly..I have an OLD Canon SLR and never really understood how to use it..I am a hands on type so I usually learn by doing..I realize with my 550 uz that I needed to really start learning about aperature, exposure, ISO, ect, and how to use the camera in manual as opposed to auto settings, but the infor that came with the camera is bare minimum at best.

It's easy to say play with it, but it would be much easier if I understood what exactly each setting is for...in more layman's term for sure!

any good books or good websites you could recommend?

Thank again!

Old Aug 26, 2008, 7:03 PM   #4

Oh wow! I tried out briefly the 570 uz..what an impressive looking, feeling camera! Guess I am gunna start savin' my pennies~

wow!
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:38 PM   #5

To add more confusion to your choices, look at the new smaller 565UZ, it looks like it could be a winner. Similar to the 570, but in a smaller, lighter body which makes it easier to carry.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol...p565uz_pr.html

Good luck,

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:41 PM   #6

shersart wrote:
Quote:
Oh wow! I tried out briefly the 570 uz..what an impressive looking, feeling camera! Guess I am gunna start savin' my pennies~

wow!
I, too, had the SP550 and sold it in favor of the SP570. It's definitely a keeper! I really believe it's destined to become a classic.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote