Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:45 AM   #1

Default Going to buy a C-750, what can i expect? (long post)

As the subject states I am going to buy a C-750. By the way it's my first digital camera, not counting video.

I got it , in part, because i plan on taking wildlife and sporting event shots and hence the 10x optical zoom really appealed to me.

But mostly I will use the camera for pictures of family and friends on birthdays, holiday etc.

On occasion the camera will be used to(TRY) take night images of lightning, the town from high vantage points, and evening shots of people after fishing or the sports events i mentioned. I live in a northern state so we have all seasons and plenty of snow for winter shots, which i think are nice.

What i am wondering is this: What can I expect from this camera?
In other words is it hard to take evening/low light shots with it? if so is there some special thing C-7X0 users do. I've read some digital cams are decent in low light, ie the Kodak DX6490, but that most aren't great and not to get my hopes up in that regard.
Along those lines will it be more difficult to take night pictures with the C750 than with most other Digital cameras?

I plan on using a tripod for sporting events and pretty much anything else i can. In other words I plan on keeping it stable.

I value all your inputs. Its the support i see you all giving each other at places like this, and the yahoo group that I just joined that added one more positive to my decision.

having said all that...if i cant find one to buy online or elsewhere i'll be forced to buy the Kodak DX6490. As it is the local BEstbuy doesn't have any(C750 or DX6490) in their warehouses, and haven't had the C-750 for weeks(the DX is new).
gogriz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:10 AM   #2

Speaking candidly, the 750 wouldn't be a good camera due to its long shutter lag time (even if you use manual or pre-focus). Same with some sports for the same reason. For low-light shots, you'll have to resort to focusing manually as there is no focus assist...the camera needs a certain amount of light to focus, http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm

The 7x0 is a great series of cameras, but it does have its shortcomings (as does every other camera). In some ways the Kodak is better, but after having tried it at a camera show I still like my C-700 in many ways, and am waiting for a highly improved 770 from Olympus to replace my 700.

You may want to ask on the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group as there are several 750 users there:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 4:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I can't complain, it does most of what i'd like it to. I don't see a $500(or so) camera that really does have every feature i want. So what it really came down to was buying the one my wife felt most comfortable with. She found the Kodak awkward. Either would have been fine for me.

also, and I know it might sound silly,but she also didn't like the proprietary battery in the Kodak. While its true backups can be bought it would reall stink to be in the wilderness, run out of battery. With the 750 a guy can pop in some form of AA and get through the day...or if batteries are forgotten on a trip, i know a novice thing to do, but i am a novice and a human and as such not real bright...oops back to the point. AAs can be found nearly anywhere.
gogriz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 5:23 PM   #4

I do not like proprietary batteries. This often has been a major deciding factor when buying a new camera. The 750 is a great camera for outdoors but you will have to experiment to master action shots. The 750 has a small footprint for an ultrazoom camera and fits well in your hand. Indoor shooting at full zoom will not produce great pictures. You can make them better with editing.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:03 PM   #5

I think you will really enjoy your purchase. The C-750 was my first digicam and I love it. Take your time read the manual and scan the Olympus section of this board for tips and tricks.
I don't find the camera bad in low light compared to some others and the zoom is fantastic and I could not settle for a minute 3x zoom camera now!
Check out my pics and maybe they'll help you see what is possible with the camera.....of course I'm not genius so I'm sure in short time you'll be taking better pics.
Cheers
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:25 PM   #6

I tried the Kodak at a camera show, and I too didn't like how it felt, and it's not just an issue of not being used to it...the Olympus felt comfortable in my hands right away.

BTW, the battery concern is not "silly"...many people (including myself) don't like proprietary batteries...I bought three sets of AAs for my Olympus for the cost of one proprietary battery.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 4:41 PM   #7

I love my C750...but like you, I am a 1st time user. I took some great action shots at a boat race using the automatic functions of the camera.

This is a fun camera...you cannot go wrong. Not only a great zoom and clear pictures...but sound with your still pics!

Have fun...[/img]
fidalgodan is offline   Reply With Quote