Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:54 AM   #1

Hi!

I went to have my pictures from my Olympus camera printed at a photo shop, and the lady who took care of it said their ESET antivirus detected a couple of things (not sure if virus or spyware) called RECYCLER from my XD memory card. And she promptly deleted those.

But now I can't view the pictures on my memory card with my camera!!! A blue screen appears with the words WRITE PROTECT in red letters, and picture of a memory card.

But when I insert the card into my laptop it reads the files just fine.

What could be wrong? Could the RECYCLER have been an important part of the camera? Could anyone please help me?

Thank you!
rizqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:32 AM   #2
Administrator

It's normal for some cameras to write some hidden files on a memory card. For example, these are relatively common with some camera models:

'._.Trashes,' 'ignore_my_docs'

You've already got your images from it, right?

If so, I'd format the card using the camera's menu choice for format (not your PC) and see if that solves the problem. If not, try formatting it using your PC. But, make *sure* to select FAT from the drop down list you'll see as the file system type for a 2GB or smaller card (as Windows will try to format one using FAT32 by default, which is not compatible with many camera models). Then, format it using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again.

As a rule, I always reformat my memory cards using a camera's menu choice for format prior to every reuse. That insures that I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table on the card, just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format, and that also creates any hidden files and folders the camera may want to see.

You'll find a CARD tab with a FORMAT choice under it in your menus:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:09 AM   #3

Hi!

Oh no, I forgot to mention that I still haven't saved most of the pictures onto my laptop. Is there another way of saving the pictures and solving the write protect problem at the same time?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Administrator

I don't know.

But, if it were my card, I'd copy the images to your laptop and make sure you can see the full size images OK (not just the thumbnails). Then, format the card using the camera's menu choice for format and see if that fixes it.

Personally, I always format my cards again using a camera's menu choice for format, prior to *every* reuse to make sure I start out with a new File Allocation Table to minimize any potential corruption problems.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:41 AM   #5

OK, Jim. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I truly appreciate it. If there are any more problems I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks again!!