Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:22 AM   #1

Hi all, first post here. I have had Olympus digital cameras for some time now but the FE-360 that I just got for my wife has got me stumped! I am trying to get the camera to take smaller (MB size wise) pictures for posting on forums. I have been using a Camedia C5000 and it works perfectly taking large or small pictures. I need the FE-360 to take pictures no larger than 1 MB in size and the smallest I seem to be able to get them down to is 3+ MB in size using the 1M setting. There must be a way to get them smaller? If anyone know please let me know.
Thanks for any help
Gene
genestoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2008, 5:53 PM   #2

Hi genstoy:

Don't use your camera to take such small photos. We all use photo editing software on our computers. Take your photos at your usual large file settings. If there are some you want to share with a forum, then use a photo program on your computer to resize a copy of it. That leaves your original photo intact in case you ever want to make a print, etc.

Do a search on the internet, there are a lot of free photo editing programs available. Or go the the computer site: komando.com for some reviews and recommendations for free photos editing programs.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Steve. I have several photo editing (Adobe Photoshop, Corel Photo, Micrografix etc.) programs but was just trying to cut out that step as I always did with the C5000. I never print any of the photos that go on the forum so just wanted to set the camera to take the right sized pics, download then upload them. If there is no way to set this camera then I will just go back to using the C5000.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:31 PM   #4

Never used an FE-360,but suggest you research the full manual, not the printed one. Most Olys come with the comprehensive manual on CD to download to your computer.

The specs for the resolution of the FE-360 shows that it goes all the way down to just 640 x 480; which is smaller than you need for posting to forums.

Max resolution
3264 x 2448

Low resolution
2560 x 1920, 2048 x 1536, 1920 x 1080, 1600 x 1200, 1280 x 960, 640 x 480

As far a photo editing, you don't need the big guns like Photoshop to quickly reduce the size. The simpler free programs will basically reduce the size with just one or two clicks, definitely easier than Adobe.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:43 PM   #5

Steve,
You unknowingly fixed my problem for me. I did not realize that the "VGA" setting was the 640 x 480 setting which is the size I wanted. I thought that was only for the movie mode, works perfect for what I need. if I want to shoot something to print then I can quickly press one button and change the resolution with this camera!
Thanks again