Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 29, 2008, 5:45 AM   #1

Noob alert! This is my first post here as I have just purchased my 570 to replace a DSLR which due to its bulk never got used!

Anyhoo on to my question: I have seen here that a teleconvertor can be added to the 570 (TCON17) - Is it possible to add a wideangle adapter like the WCON07? - The TCON17 needs an adapter (CLA10) so if the WCON07 will work what adapter is required?

Thank you ... Paul
PaulBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:34 PM   #2

hi,

I'm no expert but I have this camera, I bought the adaptor tubeand a 2x teleconverter, and a wideangle (think its 1.4) the wideangle fitted on the adaptor tube. the adaptor tube unscrews in the middle (well mine does!) to fit the wide angle. I didn't buy the Olympus equipment though.

Sand
PS

because you have had a DSLR, I have been considering buying one, but keep telling myself it will be a waste because of needing and carrying lots of lenses around, and the 570 seems to do it all.....would you say it is comparable to a DSLR??

slipperyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply - What brand lenses etc did you go for & are they any good?

As to your question about me having owned a DSLR - It's too early to tell as I haven't been out anywhere yet to try my 570! - The main issue for me with the DSLR was the amount of extra kit you need to do the same job as the 570 - I had a mini rucksack to carry my camera & 2x lenses - I dont expect the quality to be quite up there with the DSLR but as long as its decent (& from what I've seen already there's a good chance it will be) - I can carry my 570 around all the time & this just wasn't an option with the DSLR

Cheers ... Paul
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:51 PM   #4

the adaptor tube is 'Bower', the 2x telephoto is also 'Bower' and the 0.45 wide angle and macro says digital concepts on the covers but nothing on the lens itself. As for quality, unfortunately I have nothing to compare to, but I beleive the wide angle has quality the same as camera alone. But I've always been a bit disappointed with the telephoto, but I'm not sure if thats my lack of ability or a poor lens. I need to practise more with it. I mainly use my camera (and also the reason I bought it) for photographing my son's rugby team. So I want fast action and a long lens, but I'm not that good at it:?

Sand
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:49 PM   #5

Sand - Thanks again

I emailed Olympus about wide angle adapters & here's their reply

'Unfortunately there is no wide angle converter lens available for this camera model. Well, you can put it on but it would be quite useless. The reason is that the necessary converter lens adapter CLA-10 is too long for wide angle'

As to your telephoto issues I'd hazard a guess that the lens you have isnt great quality & recommend you get hold of Olympus's own lens which I have seen on Ebay (Hong Kong based seller NewItemExpress)

Paul
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:53 PM   #6

Sand - Thanks again

I emailed Olympus about wide angle adapters & here's their reply

'Unfortunately there is no wide angle converter lens available for this camera model. Well, you can put it on but it would be quite useless. The reason is that the necessary converter lens adapter CLA-10 is too long for wide angle'

As to your telephoto issues I'd hazard a guess that the lens you have isnt great quality & recommend you get hold of Olympus's own lens which I have seen on Ebay (Hong Kong based seller NewItemExpress)

Paul
Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:07 PM   #7

ah right, the adaptor tube I bought (the bower one)unscrews into 2 pieces so it has a long tube for the telephoto and a shorter tube for the wide. I think the poor quality from the telephoto is half because its not Olympus model lens and half my shaking hands

Sand
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:53 AM   #8

slipperyjoe wrote:
Quote:
ah right, the adaptor tube I bought (the bower one)unscrews into 2 pieces so it has a long tube for the telephoto and a shorter tube for the wide. I think the poor quality from the telephoto is half because its not Olympus model lens and half my shaking hands

Sand
As you've probably discovered by now, the 2x teleconverter is not what you want to be using. The TCON-17, while being more expensive, will produce excellent results. 1.7x is about the maximum enhancement you'll get with the SP570UZ. You can still keep the tube and use it for the TCON-17. TIP: If you can find a Olympus B-300 on eBay, it is identical to the TCON-17 and can be had for MUCH less than the TCON. Check this out:

gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote