Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:39 AM   #11

btw/

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/20...-zoom-shootout
felice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:12 PM   #12

Hi there Folks-

I am an Olympus SP-560 owner that has just graduated to the Olympus SP-590. The SP-590 is a big improvement over the SP-560. I am a professional digital camera instructor who likes digicams, even though I also do DSLR Camera Courses as well.

For me, the axion is this: the smaller the camera the better. A long time ago, I got very tired of hauling around a DSLR with multiple lenses. So for everyday use I prefer the ultrazoom cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:15 PM   #13

I don't have the 590 but would assume it is the 560 with improvements and I do have the 560 and think it does a good job. It takes time and patience to learn how to use, it's not a point and shoot camera and needs to be used beyond auto mode.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:00 AM   #14

Default Olympus SP-590 vs Lumix FZ38 (+Exilim)

Hi all,

I own an Exilim EX-FC100 now for almost a year. Its Hi-speed mode (expecially 210+fps resolution acceptable) gives me much pleasure in the wild for slowing down insects, waterfalls, waves, flying birds, wood fires, etc. ... It's really a new World to discover and show around !
See this funny example :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb1rro_cimg6709

I found that the only things I dislike with it are the lack of a super optical stabilized zoom (5x only) and the instable looking of handheld HD 720p movies caused by the CMOS. Otherwise I like it very much and use it successfully all the time !

Maybe I am wrong because the interest maybe limited, but I am missing a few shots of wild animals to far to get a good image with the 5x zoom. I could take a camcorder with me but I don't like carrying to much weight in the climbings.

Now at the 2010 CES, Casio has unveiled the EX-FH100. Well interesting for a new buyer but for me not really : zoom is 10X only and CMOS problems will certainly remain in movies. A CCD is better.

Then I have been much interested by the Olympus SP-590 and the Lumix FZ38. Both have attractive characteristics. The prices are in the same range (found at less than 300 as jan 2010). They use CCDs. Zoom is 26X for the Olympus and 18X for the Lumix but the optics of the former seem better (Leica) and there is a hyper zoom mode 57X (only 640*480 but permitting a better focusing and better exposure as compared with a crop of a normal size image). Moreover, at the CES, no new superzoom has been revealed.

I have until next summer to decide which one would suit me best so please give me your advices and comments !

BR

Sylvain
France
sweiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:53 PM   #15

HEY GUYS has any one noticed a TICKING SOUND with in their camera? this is my third version and i just bought this today and i dont think i ever noticed it b4....

if anyone can answer this it would be helpful because i dont kno i should exchange it or not
wylungz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:28 PM   #16

wylungz-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The ticking sound you hear on the SP-590 is the image stabilization at work. It is 100% normal.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 22, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
wylungz-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

The ticking sound you hear on the SP-590 is the image stabilization at work. It is 100% normal.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
thanks! but i actually turned off the stabilization just to make sure if it was it.. but i still hear it.. its like a ticking time bomb sound or like a watch..
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:55 AM   #18

wylungz-

Even when the IS system is turned off on the SP-590, it will take up to 5 minutes for the gyro, which is the senor, within the IS system to finally spin down and come to a stop. So the ticking sound does indeed continue for around 5 minutes, or until the gyro in the sensing unit for the IS, to come to a stop.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
wylungz-

Even when the IS system is turned off on the SP-590, it will take up to 5 minutes for the gyro, which is the senor, within the IS system to finally spin down and come to a stop. So the ticking sound does indeed continue for around 5 minutes, or until the gyro in the sensing unit for the IS, to come to a stop.

Sarah Joyce
ty sarah that was very helpful and allowed me to just keep the camera and not go back and make a 4th exchange/return lol
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:18 AM   #20

After reading quite a few reviews about this camera I decided to go for it to replace my PowerShot A95 that died on CMOS issues.

However, I have been absolutely devastated about the picture quality. I mean shooting in ISO modes above 100, presents VERY noisy/grainy pictures with or without the NR. The image quality is so bad I've thought to send this to repair, but as I have no comparsion (xcept the pictures here in Steves digicam) I don't know wether there actually is a problem with the camera or is it just a property.

So basically shooting in anything other than in bright daylight, I have found the camera to be pretty much useless. So I was wondering is there an issue with the camera or is the image quality really that horrible in ISO 200 and above?
TychoX is offline   Reply With Quote