Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:11 AM   #21

TychoX-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad that you dropped by.

Your post makes me think that there may indeed be something wrong with the camera. Yes, above ISO 400, I expect to see noise creating in, but at ISO 200, that seems to be too early. I would return the camera to Olympus to be checked.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoX View Post
After reading quite a few reviews about this camera I decided to go for it to replace my PowerShot A95 that died on CMOS issues.

However, I have been absolutely devastated about the picture quality. I mean shooting in ISO modes above 100, presents VERY noisy/grainy pictures with or without the NR. The image quality is so bad I've thought to send this to repair, but as I have no comparsion (xcept the pictures here in Steves digicam) I don't know wether there actually is a problem with the camera or is it just a property.

So basically shooting in anything other than in bright daylight, I have found the camera to be pretty much useless. So I was wondering is there an issue with the camera or is the image quality really that horrible in ISO 200 and above?
I'm goin to have to agree with sarah.. I've had this camera for about a month now and I use it to take portrait nd display photos for custom's . Either there is something wrong with ur camera or we have the standard case of u not being able to understand how to use the camera. No offense though, but I have friends with slrs nd I can take better pics than them with this camera bc I understand all the settings nd lighting affects better...

Get ur camera checked out first nd ill post wen I get home pics of wat I've taken so far nd the settings
wylungz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:47 PM   #23

Before I send this camera to Olympus, I took 14 pics for you to check out.
The pics are of the same target, starting from ISO 100 and ending up to ISO6400. First 7 pics are taken without zoom and next 7 with 26x zoom. NR is off, no adjustments with any photo editor has been made.

I divided them in two separate directories, since they are total 62MB so be patient

http://www.evilutions.net/Olympus
http://www.evilutions.net/Olympus/Zoom

Oh and don't pay attention to unsharp shoots at ISO's 100 and 200. I was just too lazy to take out the tripod. Pictures were taken under incandencent light so the tone of the picture is what it is. But as you will see, quite a lot of noise/graininess even with ISO100.

And one more thing, I've noticed that the objective is a bit loose. When completely zoomed out, you can move it from side to side about 5mm (equals roughly 0.19 in.) is that normal?
TychoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Before I send this camera to Olympus, I took 14 pics for you to check out.
The pics are of the same target, starting from ISO 100 and ending up to ISO6400. First 7 pics are taken without zoom and next 7 with 26x zoom. NR is off, no adjustments with any photo editor has been made.

I divided them in two separate directories, since they are total 62MB so be patient

http://www.evilutions.net/Olympus
http://www.evilutions.net/Olympus/Zoom

Oh and don't pay attention to unsharp shoots at ISO's 100 and 200. I was just too lazy to take out the tripod. Pictures were taken under incandencent light so the tone of the picture is what it is. But as you will see, quite a lot of noise/graininess even with ISO100.

And one more thing, I've noticed that the objective is a bit loose. When completely zoomed out, you can move it from side to side about 5mm (equals roughly 0.19 in.) is that normal?

hm.. well u should have NR ON.. and for the zoom in pics taken at 6400ISO.. i'd say if u were to shrink it that is not really that bad. because u have to remember.. ur at 6400iso... but if ur objective is loose then ya u should get it looked at b/c mine is stiff.

also most pictures that are auto can range from iso160-360 depending on the lightening also.. sharpness is also a issue if u have it pumped up in the settings and with marco on

ALSO, 100% u have to understand.. there is no such thing as a good picture as a end product with out using some kinda software and editing.. thats why these cameras come with them.. magazines, photographers, they all edit their photos like theres no tomorrow for the perfect shot... if they do it.. us little ppl will be doing it too

here are some pics tat i have taken.. im a Toy customizer for transformers =P and i use this camera to take good pics of my stuff to show off and sell to other people.

these first 3 pictures were taken at ISO64 using macro, in a light box, no editing done to them, just cropped and resized the picture

this picture was taken at ISO1600 using HIgh-speed 2, its part of a collection of pictures as they moved in to kiss. not the best picture but something u cant expect much at ISO1600.. only cropped and resized

this last picture was taken at 26xzoom with a ISO240 on auto at incandescent.. i didnt expect that much since it is at 26xzoom W/O a tripod.. if ur going to do a picture at 26x u should be using a tripod really

i hope this helps really.. i mean in the end, you to have realize what you really need this camera for.. i use this camera mainly for my photography custom photos because they really produce nicely at macro.

i ACTUALLY bought this camera first and was like oh if im spending 300. i'd rather spend a couple hundred more and buy a SLR.. so i bought a SLR but even though it took nice pictures.. it was too expensive in the long run with buying all the lenses and it really wasn't worth it when it came down to what i really needed it for.. so i re-bought this Olympus and im sticking with it. and i do have friends who have SLRs because they can afford it but dont kno shit about taken pictures..

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Better-Photographs

heres a good link to look at.. google other pages on how to take good pictures.. everyone knows when it comes down to taking pictures, its all about practice and patients.. and a big memory card because if you're trying to take a picture of something, chances are, you should take atleast 5-10 different ones of it and later at home choose which is the best one.
Attached Images

Last edited by wylungz; Feb 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:44 PM   #25

Well you made me doubt my skills of using a camera, so I took my Olympus with me and visited my friend, who is nearly as crazy about cameras as is my father.

So he took me to his 'white room' (I really don't know what that would be in english, I call it a room without shadows), put up a target to shoot at, two tripods, one for my olympus and one for his EOS 500D with a 75-300 objective (he also took few pics with his 7D+20-200 objective just to rub it in).

Since the room light was adjustable, we shoot with ISO's 100 to 400 with different shutter speeds and exposures, with and without NR and image stabilizer and he even told me to reduce the image size from 12 to 5Mpix as the size of the xxx (=CMOS in DSLRs) is probably causing more noise with larger image size. We used wide angle and 26x zoom (well not with canon) and afterwards we compared the pictures side by side.

Ok ok, I know, you cant compare Olympus with even 500D, but I just needed to know I can still take photos . As you migh have guessed, after ISO100 it was all downhill for olympus especially when using 26x zoom.

He was really bummed that Olympus didnt have RAW format, as he would have been able to run it though some analyzer program (no, not PhotoShop) to see if he could point out the weak point of the camera.

Because he's just a hobbyist, I'm gonna get this camera to my dad so he can give it a try and put that last nail in the coffin.

So all in all, Olympus is a good camera when using ISO100 (or even up to ISO400 without zoom), and its very good for macro shooting, but... as my friend (damn him ) said: For that price, what do you expect.

Even I am very much into tech toys, no way I'm gonna pay min. 500 euros for a DSLR camera and another 200e and up for a decent objective. But next time I'm buying a camera, I go back to Canon

P.S. Guys at the Olympus said the camera was okay both picture and loose lense wise.
P.P.S Disabling the image stabilizer nor enabling/disabling NR didn't have any real effect. NR just blurred the pictures a tad to make them look sharper, but as you zoomed to 100% on a computer monitor, it was all soft and fuzzy.

Last edited by TychoX; Feb 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:49 AM   #26

Just for the kicks, two more pics to explain why I'm not a very happy camper with Olympus. Macro shootout with Samsung U900 (cellphone with 5Mpix camera) and Olympus. Now the idea was not to set up the ideal environment, but to do the 'out-of-the-box' -kinda shooting.

Samsung U900

Olympus (ISO400, F4.0, shutter 1/30sec)

As you are able to see, the noise is present in both, more ofcourse with Samsung, but the difference is too small for it to be acceptable. The idea is not to debate about the vibrance/tone, but the noise. In my opinion cell phone cameras suck big time and I have used those only in desperate situation.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Just for the kicks, two more pics to explain why I'm not a very happy camper with Olympus. Macro shootout with Samsung U900 (cellphone with 5Mpix camera) and Olympus. Now the idea was not to set up the ideal environment, but to do the 'out-of-the-box' -kinda shooting.

Samsung U900

Olympus (ISO400, F4.0, shutter 1/30sec)

As you are able to see, the noise is present in both, more ofcourse with Samsung, but the difference is too small for it to be acceptable. The idea is not to debate about the vibrance/tone, but the noise. In my opinion cell phone cameras suck big time and I have used those only in desperate situation.
lol ohwell man i mean some cameras ppl will like some will not. so i guess ur straight on this camera aint for you haha.. all good tho, you shouldn't keep it if ur not happy.. like i said. i use this camera and i dont really have a problem with it so its good for me.. but that may not be the same with you, so good luck and let us kno if u do get something new and wat and how it is!!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:51 AM   #28

oh on another note, does anyone kno if upping the "sharpness" in the camera would affect the picture in anyway? i swear i read somewhere that it would affect the picture somehow.. but i really forgot. and im trying to take some test photos but i dont really see a difference =/