Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:11 PM   #1

Olympus sp-590 uz - 26-676 (26x zoom)

Any reviews, opinions?

Is this too wide a range in a small package?

How does it compare to

Canon SX1

Fuji S100

Panasonic FZ28

:idea:

Thanks!!

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:38 AM   #2

Gaul,

I believe Olympus has a short review out but I haven't seen dp or anyone else do an in depth one as of yet. I can tell you if the IQ is as good as the 560 or 570 I would be interested. I have the 560 and I've posted pics here on this forum and the olympus forum to show the quality it's capable of. I hear the pany fz28 is very good also. I didn't upgrade to the 570 as I didn't feel it gave me that much more, but to go from 18x to 26 is a fairly large gain in zoom.Add the tcon 1.7 to this and you would have an impressive zoomrangewell over 1000 mm. The small sensor of course continues to limit these super zooms from proIQ shots and low light shots are noisy much above 200 ISO. Still any of the big name super zooms 18x plus with decent glass will give excellent shots if you know how to use the camera. I want a camera to shoot daylight shots and if I want video I'll buy a camcorder. So depending on IQ the 590 may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Eric
esharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:42 PM   #3

Gaul... check out this brand-new comparison review of a number of megazoom cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/

The Olympus tested is the SP 565 UZ, not the 590... but I think you can extrapolate easily enough. The Olympus didn't win but they liked it a lot and it gets second place and an honorable mention at the end. But they also say Olympus may have reached the limits for body-based, CCD-shift image stabilization with that long a zoom.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 6:04 AM   #4

Thanks,this one too

http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-revi...turesort=total
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:49 PM   #5

Hi All.

I got both the 590 and the Nikon P90 from my Friendly camera store to compare.

I have bought the Nikon which in my humble opinion has the Olympus 590 beat in all areas.

I found the 590 and the booklet confusing and hard to follow. Had it not been for my experience in Digital cameras I would have been lost. Not Great Camerafor a beginner.

Scene modes were good, but againI found the Nikon was better in most areas. The Tilt Screen is another Plus.

Anyway that is my humble opinion, one has to decide forthemselves. Im keeping the Nikon P90. The Olympus goes back!!

Richard.
RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:49 PM   #6

This camera looks interesting. It could be a nice travel camera but I do wonder how the focus and IQ is like at the longer end, would it have trouble focusing at the longer focal lengths...
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:33 AM   #7

Hi.

I found one really needs a Tripod for long shots and the pictures i shot came out blurred. :roll:There is as i recall a super focus mode on it, did not seem to help.:!: The Nikon P90 however was Much better at full zoom and hand held. See how it works in Hawaii.:G

Richard.
RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:56 PM   #8

I too would like to see a review of the SP 590 UZ . I currently travel (30 countries in the past 10 years) with an old Nikon coolpix 8800 and an 8700 for backup.

This combination is better for me than carrying a DSLR andinterchangeable lenses. However, the wide angle plus the long zoom makes the SP 590 look good. The camera seems to have the desired manual controls, but lacks the pivoting display which I have come to love.

Can somebody tell Steve to review this camera?

Graybeard
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:52 PM   #9

Looking for a review from Steve for the SP 590 UZ.

Any news as to when one might appear? I may eplace my old Nikon 8800 if the quality is good!

Graybeard
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:30 AM   #10

I just purchased the SP-590. I chose it over the nikon P90 which looked too uncertain on focus locking at long tele. I had no problems with the SP-590 locking focus in low light at max extension. It was a bot slow but accurate (..)
I do own digital SLR and several lenses (making a + than 20lbs backpack) which I always take with me. I do also own a Fuji S9500 which works superbly.
Do not expect the same quality from any 20x or plus superzoom, small sensor cameras. It just can't happen.
If you can live with noise from 200iso than the SP-590 is worth more than the nikon P90 or the poor Z980 from Kodak. The pentax X70 comprares well, quality wise, but you'll need to buy at least 2 extra batteries.
BTW I took 430 shots with the SP-590 and a new set of lithium AA 2700mAh batteries. AMAZING!
felice is offline   Reply With Quote