Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 24, 2003, 1:19 PM   #1

Default I Took the Plunge - C750UZ Photos

Took the plunge yesterday. These were taken today, all handheld even at full telephoto. I'm still getting used to the camera, as it's light years different than the Stylus 400.

http://imageevent.com/tsx_wiz/c750
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2003, 9:56 PM   #2

Default Re: I Took the Plunge - C750UZ Photos

Those look very good to me,especially for handheld telephoto shots. They look,to me, sharp with no noise.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 1:23 AM   #3

Yeah, I haven't encountered any noise on the photo's yet, just a little bit of some things being out of focus a bit when I am zoomed all the way in. I have a fairly steady hand (at least I feel I do), and am too lazy to pull the tripod out most of the time. I took a lot more pictures today, all without the tripod, and got a great shot of a young buck eating...I'll try to post them up tonight sometime.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 1:40 AM   #4

Default Re: I Took the Plunge - C750UZ Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1
Took the plunge yesterday. These were taken today, all handheld even at full telephoto.
Unfortunately many reviews don't know what they're talking about when they review ultra zoom cameras due to their own lack of camera knowledge...they say something like, "anything over 6x is a waste because you can't handhold it." Before I turned off my digital zoom, I've also gotten handheld pictures at full digital zoom (27x or 1000mm). The secret is to watch your shutter speed, keep it over 1/focal length.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 9:54 AM   #5

Hi Mike,

Can you please amplify on this statement re "1/focal length"?

"I've also gotten handheld pictures at full digital zoom (27x or 1000mm). The secret is to watch your shutter speed, keep it over 1/focal length."

Perhaps you can offer an example?

Thanks much in advance, Mike!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 5:10 PM   #6

For instance, full optical zoom (35mm equivalent) is 380mm. You should be around 1/400th of a second shutter speed to avoid handshake (faster is ok, slower might be ok handheld, of course with a tripod slower is definately ok).

If you have your camera set to power up at 105mm, you should have a shutter speed of 1/100th of a second (note that although you won't see (minor) handshake at this speed, fast action like a car race will still be blurred).

This all comes with practice.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:06 AM   #7

I agree... Even at full telephoto of 10x I've managed to capture sharp images... Must be the reviewer's shaky hands which are at fault... :P
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 3:55 PM   #8

I agree alot of people must have very shaky hands as I've had very little issues using the full 10x optical zoom with much success.
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 12:51 AM   #9

I found these posts very interesting!
I haven't used my C-730 very much after getting a C-2100! I think the stabilized lens on the uzi spoils you for developing a steady hand!
I always liked the pictures from the 730, so I think I'll start using it more and try to "perfect" my "hand held" skills!
Thanks for all good info !
Bob Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:06 AM   #10

10x Zoom with Image Stabilization...

Now I wonder If I should've waited for that Panasonic cam coming out this month...
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote