Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 24, 2003, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Help please? I killed my SM cards. Works in Comp. not Cam.

I know from reading here for the last 2.5 hours this is a pretty comon problem. I need someone who can take me step by step through the process of getting my cards to work again. Win XP os olympus C4000Z camera and a dazzle 2.0 usb reader. I know the computer corrupted something and I don't have a smprep.exe utility or winhex. Can someone please help me out? I don't care about Pan modes. I'm not a programer or computer genious either. Thanks for your help in advance.
Tsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:37 PM   #2

Default Not a reply. But the same situation.

On the button the same scenario. Looking to fix all thes cards I have sitting here. Olympus is about as much help as a bag full of hammers. I have boughten about 7 cards now. Every time I use the camera it works fine. Photos are clear and I can view them on my camera. As soon as I put the smart media card in my Dazzle 8.0 and copy the files with WinXP the card becomes no longer useable. I turn on my camera, it pops up with the card setup screen. I hit ok and all it does is BEEEEEPPPP and reads CARD ERROR. Now you would think after the first card I would have said,"hey this is not working right." BUT, now I realy realy know its not me. Help! :x
ezcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 2:22 PM   #3

Join the club... That is "The NO help from Olympus Club". You might have seen my post about our xd card and the Dazzle card reader. (http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=15395)Well I for one am not using the dazzle anymore. We were lucky and CompUSA exchanged the 256mb xd card. My wife had just bought it there recently. They didn't have to exchange it, I'm sure it wasn't the fault ot the card. But as said in my post, "Hats off to CompUSA". To me that's outstanding customer relations. And that's alot more then I can say for the Losers at Olympus!! Olympus told us to contact Vio, the maker of Dazzle. We never did, and I don't imagine they have a "fix". I think you lost the "CIS Block". What ever that is? There have been posts that have said you can reformat it in a Fuji xd camera. If you try that let us know if it works?
J Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 3:25 PM   #4

Default Its killing me

I cant belive that "THEY" have the nerve to call the cards SMART. Not only that but I would like to grab the guy by the neck that ever thought up the idea that you have to EJECT a media card. It takes all kinds I guess. Might you know of any company that I could send the cards to so that I could get them reformatted in the correct format or put back any CRAP that I somehow not knowingly removed? :?
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:38 PM   #5

Here's a page on "SmartMedia Repair & Recovery" which includes programs for Dazzle:

http://www.marshost.com/~rashmun/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 5:31 PM   #6

Default Wow a utillity!

Now if I could just figue this thing out I would be in better shape than I am in. I took the cards to comp to see if they could help me out. They were more help than ANY Olympus peoples! We tryed to format it in 4 different computers. Not a single fixed my problem. Even a juji camera would not format my cards. So looks like I will have to figuer this utillity out. Anyone know HOW to work the utillity and put it in 5 year old terms so I can understand it?
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:25 PM   #7

I had that problem and just ran "SMPREP" and then reformatted in the camera and the cards have worked perfect ever since!
Bob Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote