Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 27, 2003, 12:19 PM   #1

Default 750 in lowlight

want to buy 750 uz after reading good reviews all over the web and this gonna be my first digicam.

I shoot mostly in daylight or under flourescent or tungsten light indoors.

I keep hearing that 750 uz wont fare well in lowlight conditions.

do the above lighting conditions come under low light conditions.

do u suggest buying 5050 instead

thanx

sanil
sanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2003, 4:32 PM   #2

If you're only going to use it inside, than the 5050 would be the better choice as it has a focus illuminator; if there's not enough light to focus, a light will light up the scene for a second so it can focus (good for ~10 feet, the same range as the internal flash)...anyway, you wouldn't use the full zoom of the 750 inside.

Of course if you're shooting outside as well and want the long zoom, YOU will have to decide which is better for your needs.

The C-7x0's do fine in average room light, and most of them have manual focus for those times there isn't. If you're really serious about indoor photography (say you shoot models on a runway), you'd eventually get an external flash and you'd look for one with a focus illuminator like the Olympus FL-40 (not cheap).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 4:51 PM   #3

Mike is on target about his advice. Low light is lower than normal room light. The camera will perform much better outside. You can also opt for an external flash with the 750.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 5:51 PM   #4

I┤m trying to decide between C-750 and Minolta Z1 (cheaper).

C750 has a lot of magenta noise at high ISO, and some noise at low ISO. See:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C750/C75PICS.HTM

I think the noise is high because Olympus put in C750 4MPx in a small CDD (same size of CCD than C740, which has 3MPx).
Small Pixel spacing (Ám) generates more noise.
falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 5:56 PM   #5

I played with the Z1 (along with a dozen other digitals) at a camera show I was at recently. I found the combination EVF/LCD mechanism too gimicky, and prone to damage. One C-700 user who decided to buy the Z1 had his break the first day.

BTW, there was not one camera at that show I liked enough to replace my C-700 (and that included dSLRs costing thousands).
Old Oct 27, 2003, 5:56 PM   #6

(duplicate post which couldn't be deleted)
Old Oct 27, 2003, 6:04 PM   #7

too gimicky?
what do you mean?
Old Oct 27, 2003, 6:13 PM   #8

Mike_PEAT:
There┤s another difference between Z1 and C750: the capacity of Z1 of taking 640x480 movies.
C750 takes 320x240 movies, Do you know where can I find movie samples of C750? Perhaps 320x240 is good enough.

I really don┤t trust in EVF/Monitor system of Z1...
Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2003, 6:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by falco
too gimicky?
what do you mean?
On the Z1 there is only ONE LCD screen (unlike the C-7x0 with the large LCD screen and the smaller EVF LCD).

Here's how the viewfinder works on the Z1, based on me trying it and seeing it in operation, and by the Shockwave diagram of the viewfinder in Steve's review of the Z1, http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/z1_pg2.html:

As soon as you flip the viewfinder switch the LCD goes into the camera (#4 in Steve's diagram) and two shutters come down (one from top, one from bottom) to close off where the LCD was (you can still see the LCD between the two shutters)...on one of the shutters is the mirror which angles the picture up to the fixed mirror, and then onto the viewfinder.

Besides the above part of the mechanism being gimicky, another problem is the LCD cable might be prone to cracking especially if use in weather extremes (experience from my PDA screen cable which cracks from wear when opened and closed)...I'd rather have two LCD screens like the C-7x0 uses, even if one is lower quality.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:09 AM   #10

And that is Mike_PEAT's famous post in which I strayed away from the Minolta forever, thus purchasing an Oly C-740, and have been very happy with it so far!

I fancied how the Z1 looked, especially when compared to a cam that Minolta sold long time ago in limited quantitie, less than 10 I think, during the 60's(showed at DPreview.com). I also liked the movie taking feature of the cam, and the supposed to be Rapid Focus system it had.

But the fact that it's made of plastic, and not of the strong kind, turned me off of it. I'm a man with big hands, I wouldn't want to crush the cute thing because I "squeezed" it too hard! :lol:
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote