Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:00 AM   #1

Default C750 - Loose Feel

Just opened the box on my new camera and want to be sure that all is well. With one exception, everything is as expected so far and I really think I'll be pleased with this purchase. In all of the reviews I did not read that the barrel of the lens has "play" or moves a bit, as if it were loose. This won't bother me providing it is manufactured that way. Is that the case??
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:14 AM   #2

It's absolutely NORMAL...the lens is designed to "float" in the assembly.

I will say that most C-7x0 users suggest to add a filter adapter tube with a UV or Skylight filter to protect the lens and assembly from dust, scratches, and getting bumped (some C-7x0 users have bumped their lens out of alignment). Here's a picture of a tube on a C-7x0 (courtesy of the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group):
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328787 (side view)
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328788 (front view)

The above is a 52mm diameter tube (the size of the filter it uses, easier in some places to find 52mm accessories)...the Olympus branded tube, CLA-4, is a 55mm diameter tube (it's a little harder to find 55mm accessories in some areas, and they are a little more expensive than the 52mm accessories).

If you want to join a C-7x0 dedicated forum, click the Oly_C-700 link in my signature below.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 1:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the info and suggestions.
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:13 PM   #4

Default Hi Mike ! crystal optics filter kit with 52 mm adapter

will this adapter do the job

what about the quality of this uV,NDand flourescent filter kit from crystal optics. any ideas

Thanx
sanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:28 PM   #5

I've heard some negative things about Crystal Optics lenses, can't say about the filters (although I've heard some things about problems with cheaper filters).

ND filters are nice for those times that you want less light entering the camera but don't want any influence on the colour.

FL filters aren't really necessary for digital cameras; digitals automatically compensate for white balance.

As for the tube, I can't say anything about it as I don't know which tube you're referring to; there are many tubes for many digitals, including different ones for Oly cameras...for the C-7x0 the camera side of the tube has to be 45.6mm, and the filter side is usually 55, 52, or 46mm (most prefer the 52mm), and it should say for Oly C-7x0 or CLA-4 equivalent.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:49 PM   #6

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=LAOMC72052
http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CROFK52

this is what i am referring to.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 12:02 AM   #7

The picture of the tube looks short (must have just been resized poorly), but it does say it's for the camera. Can't say much more about it.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 12:12 AM   #8

Default filter set

thnx mike. planning to get polarizing filter, UV filter for 750. any recommendations.
also can u tell me the difference b/n ND filter and Polarizing filter.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 12:19 AM   #9

I can recommend you joining the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group in my signature for great C-7x0 discussions!

ND filters limit the amount of light coming into the camera (say if you want a slower shutter speed in daylight to increase blurring).

A polarizer is a whole different beast (even though it's used in sunglasses)...here's a great page with lots of polarizer examples and the different ways it can be used:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...polarizer.html

Just an FYI, you can get by with the linear polarizer on the C-7x0...you don't need the circular type.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 12:26 AM   #10

Default yahoo group

thanx mike.
i joined yahoo groups by givin them an Email. but unfortunately in India yahoo groups are blocked for access