Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 30, 2003, 5:19 AM   #1

Default C-750 vs similar cameras

C-750, Minolta Z1, Fuji S5000, DX6490 or DMC-FZ10?

Z1 is a nice camera, but LCD/EVF switching and battery compartment door potencial problems worry me.

I own an Olympus D-340. Is a simple camera, but its images are wonderful. I think C-750 will be better, put it takes smaller movies than Z1, and their put 4Mpx on a very small CCD, so it gets lots of noise.

S5000 is too bulky, and produce noise on images too.

Anybody trust in Kodak Easyshare DX6490?
Has Kodak experience on digital cameras?

Is Panasonic DMC-FZ10 on sale? where?
I cannot obtain its street-price to do a comparison.

Thank U guys!
falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:11 AM   #2

My sister bought the Kodak 6490 and it takes very good pictures. I was impressed with the pictures it took inside a room. The room was well lighted and the pictures turned out very well.

The c750 has a hot shoe for external flash. I have the c740 and the picture quality is very good. The camera will not perform very well under low light conditions. None of the cameras you listed will perform very good under low light conditions.

My son just bought the S5000 and his pictures are turning out very well also. He has been using digital cameras for several years and wanted this one for the extra zoom.

The panasonic FZ10 maybe the best ultrazoom camera to come on the market since the UZI, however no one even has a production model for review. Stores are taking pre orders for a release date in NOvember. It could be worth the wait.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:11 AM   #3

My sister bought the Kodak 6490 and it takes very good pictures. I was impressed with the pictures it took inside a room. The room was well lighted and the pictures turned out very well.

The c750 has a hot shoe for external flash. I have the c740 and the picture quality is very good. The camera will not perform very well under low light conditions. None of the cameras you listed will perform very good under low light conditions.

My son just bought the S5000 and his pictures are turning out very well also. He has been using digital cameras for several years and wanted this one for the extra zoom.

The panasonic FZ10 maybe the best ultrazoom camera to come on the market since the UZI, however no one even has a production model for review. Stores are taking pre orders for a release date in NOvember. It could be worth the wait.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:11 AM   #4

Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:12 AM   #5

Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:42 PM   #6

I have the Olympus C-750 and C-740, I have tried the Minolta Z1 , The Fuji S5000 and the Panasonic FZ2.

I like the Minolta Z1 but it failed after about 10 days.

The Fuji S5000 images had a blue cast and to much purple fringing.

The Panasonic FZ2 had a superb lense but the image seemed out of focus and needed sharpening up.

I think you have already viewed the results of the Olympus but if not go to www.kevin-bates.co.uk

I can email you images taken on the other cameras if you wish.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:09 AM   #7

Default Re: C-750 vs similar cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by falco
C-750, Minolta Z1, Fuji S5000, DX6490 or DMC-FZ10?

Z1 is a nice camera, but LCD/EVF switching and battery compartment door potencial problems worry me.

I own an Olympus D-340. Is a simple camera, but its images are wonderful. I think C-750 will be better, put it takes smaller movies than Z1, and their put 4Mpx on a very small CCD, so it gets lots of noise.

S5000 is too bulky, and produce noise on images too.

Anybody trust in Kodak Easyshare DX6490?
Has Kodak experience on digital cameras?

Is Panasonic DMC-FZ10 on sale? where?
I cannot obtain its street-price to do a comparison.

Thank U guys!
a new friend of mine works at Best Buy so i grilled him about c-740,750, s5000, and kodak 6490. (i asked him about the others too, he has tinkered with them, but doesn't at work).

I'll keep it short. he found that customers really liked the c-7x0, and so far they like the 6490 also. the s5000 not so much.
He didn't care for the Minolta as it seemed sorta flimsy. nothing on the fz.

As for me i love my C-750. I've already found it easy to find filters/adapters. using AA size batteries has already come in handy over those that use proprietary. and the metal body lives up to what one hopes for...i found this out by accident, it takes alicking and keeps on ticking.
I think i'd have been happy though with the kodak or panasonic.

As i'm taking more pictures i'm finding out the historgram is very helpfull. I'm not sure what other cameras in this list come with one. In my ingnorance all i can tell you is that it tells you if you're shot will have good white-balance or something like that. and that if the histogram shows me the bell shaped curve in the middle i cant go wrong.

Still, the two most important things are feel and ease of use.
Does the camera feel comfortable? if not you wont' use it as much.
Is the menu something you can use easily? again, if not you wont use it much.

for me, they all felt pretty good, The kodak and OLY menus are great. what it came down to was that i like the AA batteries and the fact that the OLY was more comfy for my wife.
gogriz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 3:52 AM   #8

I'd go for the C-740UZ, but like Mike said, the FZ-10 should be the next best thing since the C-2100UZ came out, but, we won't know for sure until it comes out.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote