Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:40 AM   #1

Hello, I received my SP-565 yesterday and so far am loving it! One thing I noticed though is that the manual says NOT to use AA lithium batteries? Why?! As long as the voltage and battery capacity are okay what would prevent me from using them? Eventually I plan on picking up some rechargable NiMH but I thought the AA lithiums would make excellent back up batteries given their long life. Any thoughts on this?

Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2009, 2:17 PM   #2

Voltage and mAH are not the only issues with batteries. They also have an internal resistance that effectively limits the maximum current (Amps or milliamps) that will flow when that encounter and low or zero resistance load. Some equipment is designed such that they pose a low resistance load and rely on a battery's resistance to limit current. The simple AA lithium batteries will allow very high current flow and such equipment will not tolerate the higher current.

Incompatibility with AA lithiums is somewhat common in less expensive equipment with either motors or electronic flashes. If the recyle circuitry is designed to run at its maximum current load with AA alkaline batteries and doesn't provide adequate current limiting circuits of its own (read: more $) it will draw too much current from lithiums, recycling very quickly once, if that much, before burning out a circuit component.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:17 AM   #3

That makes sense....it's the ability of lithium cells to deliver high current that make them a favorite in my other hobby...model rocketry. The Li cells are used to heat nichrome wire ignitors. Thanks for the info....looks like I'll just shop for some NiMH soon and keep alkalines around for backups. (those are the only two types permitted).

Craig
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:24 AM   #4

caheaton wrote:
Quote:
That makes sense....it's the ability of lithium cells to deliver high current that make them a favorite in my other hobby...model rocketry. The Li cells are used to heat nichrome wire ignitors. Thanks for the info....looks like I'll just shop for some NiMH soon and keep alkalines around for backups. (those are the only two types permitted).

Craig
Not to hijack, but how do you like your new camera? Any initial impressions?

Thanks

Backlashd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:50 AM   #5

The lithium AA cells I am familiar with ( Energizers) have a cell voltage somewhat higher than alkalines. A fresh alkaline cell will show a no-load voltage of about 1.56 to 1.6 volts. For a 4- cell camera, this gives about 6.4 volts input at no load. The lithium cells I checked have a no-load cel voltage of about 1.8 volts, putting the 4-cell input voltage to over 7 volts. Some cameras' power supplies are set up to shut down if the input is above this level, so may not function at all. Normally, the increased current capacity and higher cell voltage are good things, but could also cause excess heating in some of the higher power circuits of the camera.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:14 AM   #6

I'm pleased with the camera so far, although I'm still learning how to make the most of it. I've only shot about 3 dozen photos so far (most for my sister's birthday this past weekend). I'm getting ready to post some photos in another thread in this forum. I especially impressed with how it does in low light. There is noise, but it's in no way objectionable. The camera is also easy to use. I have yet to read the manual. :G

First impressions: the camera is comfortable to hold, light weight and easy to use. Photo quality seems to be fine. The camera is quite the bargain.
Craig

Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:52 AM   #7

I just bought a Energizer Charger and 20- AA 2500mh batteries for only 50.00 on EBay to use for back ups and to put away for future. heck of alot cheaper than my local Walmart. Those batteries are flipping awesome too. I've charged one set for 1200 times and yes I kept track because I want to make sure it does last. One set of four lasted me a year and a half too. So I am set for a long time
SweetMom52804 is offline   Reply With Quote