Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 3, 2003, 5:46 PM   #1

Default Question re: lens tube and filter for C750

Since I doubt the Olycap affords much dust protection, I've decided to purchase a lens tube and filter for my new C750.

I'm aware of offerings by Olympus (CLA-4), Raynox and Sakar, but don't like the way the step-up "ring" found on the ends of these 55mm and 52mm adapters/tubes looks.

2filter.com offers a 45.6mm-46mm tube, which offers a smoother appearance. It's supposed to fit the C730. Has anyone ever used a 46mm tube/adapter on a C750?

Also, I'll need a new camera bag, since the C70 won't fit in my Tamrac bag w/ the tube attached (and I don't plan on removing/replacing the tube everytime I pack/unpack the camera). Any suggestions on a new bag?

Thanks,
Joe Kusmierczak
:?:
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2003, 6:03 PM   #2

Contact the folks at www.2filters.com. They can sell you the adapter tube and the filters you require. They have reasonable prices and highly knowledgeable.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:35 PM   #3

The folks at 2Filters aren't that friendly towards International customers...
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 8:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkThrone
Really? I e-mailed them yesterday regarding shipping an order to the UK and they mailed me back quickly letting me know that the postage would be $12.50 (very reasonable in my opinion) and to just add that to my shopping cart manually when I ordered.

As it happens I won't be using them anyway now because I've found a shop in this country that meets my needs, so I may as well go with them to save using my credit card. My point is though that I never got the impression that 2Filters were putting me off buying from them due to me being foreign.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 9:07 PM   #5

Yeah, they did reply to me too, although after my transaction didn't go through (some electron card error they wouldn't elaborate on), they just didn't answer back my emails anymore.

A pity, since I'd really like one of those Protection/Polarizer filters for my C-740UZ...
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 9:53 PM   #6

I read elsewhere that another owner had trouble with a 46mm tube - specifically, the C750's lens would actually contact the filter. I'm hoping that this is a problem specific to the particular tube/filter assembly he chose, and am wondering whether any other C700 series users have used 46mm tubes. I'll certainly get a 52 or 55mm tube (it seems that more non-Olympus products are compatible with 52 than 55) if the 46 won't work, as $25-30 makes for a great insurance policy for protecting the lens from dust and the unthinkable drop, etc. But the smoother 46mm sure looks a lot better on the C750- and I don't really foresee buying additional lenses or filters for this camera...

I've had my C750 for a month now, and am increasingly impressed as I make my way up the learning curve.

Biggest complaints: noticeable noice at 800 ISO, though Noise Reduction effectively eliminates hot pixels. And an AF assist lamp would be nice. The AF will function at fairly low light levels, although it has to hunt a bit - and sometimes unsucessfully. I often have to take a 2nd or 3rd shot to capture the proper exposure in really low light. I've heard that a flashlight can serve as an AF assist when prefocusing or switching from AF to manual - the former sounds much less painless. I bought an LED headlamp from PrincetonTec, and it came with a mini lamp called the Pulsar. I'm hoping it helps AF when shooting subjects at ranges of 10-15 feet at low light. If so, I'll clip it to my shoulder strap.

Those are truly the only glaring weaknesses with this camera (though lag between pics can be frustrating - the C750 would benefit from a larger buffer). Fantastic color, very good exposure overall, great resolution. The lens is great - like having 3 lenses in one, though I would prefer a wider angle - 28 - 280 would be ideal for me. Seems well-constructed, very handsome design, sharp though smallish LCD. I understand that EVF's are a necessary evil on ultra-zoom cameras, but it does offer TTL and generally decent resolution for most shots. Unfortunately, there are times (high contrast, low light, etc.) when you can't rely on the EVF when checking focus. Intuitive menu system, lots of manual controls. Apparently, the C750s are selling like hotcakes, and I can see why - overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Since I doubt the Olycap affords much dust protection, I've decided to purchase a lens tube and filter for my new C750.

The Olycap seals quite securely (at least mine does on my c3020). I'm sure that it forms as good of a dust seal as an extender tube and filter. The rubber lens tube has a ridge that accepts the cap when snapped shut producing a fairly tight seal--it takes quite some force to snap the cap open.

The Olycap will not flip out of the way if you inadvertently turn on the camera without manually popping the Oly cap to the side and it will impede the lens barrel from extending.

Don't get me wrong, I think that your plan to 'armor' your lens with an extender tube and filter is a good idea--I haven't done this for myself only because I didn't want the added length of the tube to always be interferring with my camera case.

I'm dropping this note just to make the point that the Olycap does a good job as lens cap for dust protection (and, IMHO, is more convenient than the dangly lens cap supplied with the camera..
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkusmier
I don't really foresee buying additional lenses or filters for this camera...
*smirk*

I may have said that at one time...after the polarizer I bought a .7x wide angle lens, and then a Cokin starter set, and just this past week I bought a set of closeup diopters. I also bought an external flash at the time of the wide angle lens.

I don't know what's next though, probably a ring flash for the closeup lenses so I don't have shadow from the barrel with all the lenses on the camera.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 7:35 AM   #9

Default camera bag

Hi joe! I'm currently using a Lowepro D-Res 50AW camera bag for my C-750 http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/dres/dres50aw.html It just fits my C-750 perfectly. It has an adjustable pad inside to give your camera a snug fit or loose one if you'd like. The lining inside is made of a soft cotton like material that wouldn't scratch your camera. The D-Res 50AW has enough compartments for you to add accessories such as extra filters & a flash unit. Don't make the mistake that I did before by purchasing a bag that was too small for the C-750 with a CLA-4 adapter attached. I purchased the Lowepro Nova Micro AW before the D-Res. http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/...ovamicroaw.htm Later on I discovered it was just to small & hard to pull the camera out of the bag. I'd suggest you take a look first at the Lowepro D-Res 50 before you purchase any other bag.
mysleepydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkThrone
I agree the first time I order a filter set they charged $10 international shipping that was two weeks ago, I requested a repeat order yesterday and the Quoted $26 for the same items.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote