Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:40 AM   #1

Default Alternative to Camedia 4.1???

I just purchased a Stylus 400 and want to find a smaller image transfer utility to take on vacation to put in a rented computer at say an Internet cafe to move xD images to in order to email.... Any alternatives to Camedia 4.1 or do I have to take the whole CD with me on the trip and load it on a computer somewhere? :shock:
hapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:15 AM   #2

As long as the rented computer is running Windows XP or Windows 2000, you should be able to plug your camera into the usb port and attach the pictures to an email. You only need the editing software if your plan is to edit the pictures before emailing.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:22 AM   #3

Hey Gibson....thanks for the quick response.....

If I also take my pen drive with me, would the camera look like another 'drive' to Windows and could I theoretically then just transfer the pictures in Explorer from the Olympus 'drive' to the pen drive?
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:03 AM   #4

The answer is yes to both questions. The cameria will appear as a removable drive and so will the pen drive. If you run into a computer running Win98SE then you may have to load the drivers. You can always save the drivers to one cd.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 3:55 PM   #5

Hi...

I tried hooking the camera directly into a Windows 2000 machine. It recognized the camera as a piece of hardware -- removable drive E: -- but when I went into Explorer, it's not listed as a drive in there.... how do I get Explorer to recognize E:?
Old Nov 6, 2003, 4:34 PM   #6

Right click on My Computer and choose Explore from the drop down menu. You will need to have a media card in the camera for it to work.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 4:54 PM   #7

Yeah, had the media card in the camera with the camera off like the manual says.....computer recognized the USB plugin and named the camera (removable drive E.... I right-clicked to start Explorer, but no drive E: showed up, even with a refresh.....tried to map the drive in Network Neighborhood, but of course no E: drive available to do that...... I'll keep frickin with it.....

Thanks for the suggestion, though....
Old Nov 6, 2003, 5:11 PM   #8

The camera needs to be turned on. 2K will see the hardware and assign a drive letter but it will not be available unless the camera is on. Be sure to take the lens cap off (left it on myself).
Old Nov 6, 2003, 7:29 PM   #9

Hey, COOL!!!!

Thanks man..... turning on the camera FIRST and then plugging in the USB cable did the trick.... pictures immediately available in E: drive. What's the point of even having Camedia at this point; right? I mean I want to use Photoshop anyway. Now it's just a simple matter of bringing a couple RW disks on the trip with me if I want to back up the pics off the xD chips.

Thanks again!!!!
Old Nov 7, 2003, 9:04 AM   #10

hapster

Glad to hear everything is working. Good shooting on your trip.

Phil