Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 7, 2002, 2:20 PM   #11

Kue,
95% of shooting done with 2100UZ, see list below of my cams. 5% with 3040. Check your U2U.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 3:18 PM   #12

Gary,

I'm looking for 1 camera - I know different cameras might be good for different jobs, but if my budget was unlimited I'd definitely spring for a Sony F707.

I don't know anyone who has a digicam in real life, and the stores here only carry them in boxes in glass cases for twice the original MSRP.

Is the C2100UZ easy to carry around? I want something that my fiance could use as well...
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 3:25 PM   #13

Kue,
I shoot in the mindless (auto) mode. Check my picture page foor Olmpus shoots camera used is notd at bottum. If want to see shot of the 2100 and 3040 cams side by side U2U me with email adress and will take pic of them.

http://www.pbase.com/cologs/profile

Gary

PICTURES EMAILED

[Edited on 8-7-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Old Aug 10, 2002, 2:52 PM   #14

Okay today I went into the store and they let me actually hold the C-3040Z and the Fuji 2800; both cameras are actually smaller than they appear in pictures; the 2800 is actually the smaller of the 2, and quite comfortables in the hand. The C-3040Z was a nice fit. I almost would've come back home and bought it online (the store price was $8360TTD, which is $1353USD; which I knew was just ridiculous for that Digicam.

However on a do-or-die attempt, I was able to buy a refurbished C-2100UZ for less than a C-3040Z; and I can't wait to start shooting. Honestly if you can get the C-3040Z, I would say buy it, it's a speedy little camera which functions the way it should, ultimately a marriage of the C-3040Z and the C-2100UZ 10x image stablised lens would've been the best fit. However for incredible long zoom photos I couldn't have passed over the UZi for a 3040Z.

Will give an update when I get it in my hands - I've been told its a no-regrets digicam. Although some people have quirks about the camera (white-balance, and purple fringing), I know no one who actually owns one (and I only know of people online who own one - never seen it in the shop) who think that those "quirks" are a bad thing. I've read the reviews - it could've been a better digital camera; but then Olympus would've lost even more money and have no room to innovate.

What I'd have like to have seen is a C-4100UZ, or 5100UZ to compete with the Nikon 5700. We never know, it might be something coming out of their partnership with Kodak on the Olydak, or some surprises in the air next year. If we remember early this year, Olympus and Kodak were two companies very interested in the Foveon CCD... although no one talks about it now, one can always speculate.

If they can get the cost of the in-camera magic to use the CCD down, then they can really spend the money on what matters; the optics.

Kirk (KueMauve)
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 5:04 AM   #15
cmt

I got a 3040Z and my problems w/ it is the 'puny' 3x and stuck/hot pixel. The camera was bought last May from the US and brought here (Philippines) last June. Great for lowlight/nightshot.

I agree with the others that a more powerfull zoom would have made the xx40z series a much more all-around camera.

The 7xx series are basically watered down versions (plus on some areas & minus on some).
cmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 9:44 AM   #16

Features I put ahead of megapixels are Optical zoom(10X), Image stab, frames per second making 2100UZ and E-100 RS very desireable at the less than $500 price they can be had for.
Gary