Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 2, 2002, 8:04 PM   #1

Default about to buy the 3040Z somebody stop me?

I've done my research, I'm just about to settle on the 3040Z for around $500. But before I commit I wanted to ask 3040Z owners:
Would you buy yours again?
Any common problems I should know about?
I'm thinking about buying it refurbished any thoughts there?

Thanks in advance for a reply.
bundaburra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2002, 8:21 PM   #2

bb,
I use my 3040 when I want the high quality or low light indoor shooting. The price you memtioned should get you a new one, if you cannot save$75- $100 think new. The 2100UZ is my weapon of choice with its 10x optical zoom.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:18 AM   #3

if i were u ill will get a SONY DSC-P51
i have it and fantactic quality and its 2mp
mdorani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 10:07 PM   #4

I owned a 3040 for about a month. In my opinion it's a great camera. It's hard to take a bad picture with this. Once I learned how to use the manual controls, it opened up a whole new world. Using manual controls, I could take exceptional indoor pictures without flash. The camera is also very fast. I think it's capable of shooting over 3.5 FPS. You won't find many cameras that will do that in this price range (under $500.00). You can also do short movie clips w/sound. It's just a super camera. It also has a great solid, yet light, feel. The only drawback, in my opinion, is the zoom. I sold mine to get a bigger zoom (C-2100). I take a lot of sports pictures and 3X isn't good enough. If you're adventurous and learn to use the manual controls, I think you'll like the camera.
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 1:47 PM   #5

Not to stop you, but the C-4000 is out. Compare features before you buy. Street price is $440.00 USD. No remote, F2.8 lens, but cool 2 cm super macro mode.
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 2:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Adkins
Not to stop you, but the C-4000 is out. Compare features before you buy. Street price is $440.00 USD. No remote, F2.8 lens, but cool 2 cm super macro mode.
How about the 32 meg buffer? audio and video both?
Gary
Old Aug 5, 2002, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Senkus
Quote:
Gary
Also issues. Important to some, not to others. The original poster should look at the complete specs to make a decision. My only point was to show a new item to help in his decision.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 11:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Gary
Also issues. Important to some, not to others. The original poster should look at the complete specs to make a decision. My only point was to show a new item to help in his decision.
Mike,
Inreading your posts seeing you are going underwater with it have you thought about the 2040 with its 1.8 lens. been available from olymus at $315.00, same body as 3030,3040,4040. I shoot most of my pics with2100UZ, 2 megapixel even though I have a 3040.
Gary
Old Aug 5, 2002, 11:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Gary
Mike,
Inreading your posts seeing you are going underwater with it have you thought about the 2040 with its 1.8 lens. been available from olymus at $315.00, same body as 3030,3040,4040. I shoot most of my pics with2100UZ, 2 megapixel even though I have a 3040.
Gary
Interesting point. However I've been won over by the bigger is better crowd. I actually made a consious decision to go with 4Mpixel. The idea is that underwater, your subject moves about alot. You can keep the subject in the middle half of the shot and crop for best effect. You might end up at 2Mpixels when you are done. I've used a friend's rig underwater and ended up with lots of half of fishes. I know I'll get better, but I figure I can save some shots.

I would have bought the 4040 but no one had them in stock.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 2:01 PM   #10

I feel like bb. I've been researching digicams for a year now, and have read every review that there is for every digicam released in the last 3 years. I want to change my hobby from reviewing digicams to actually using one :P

My choices are: C-3040Z, C-2040Z, C-2100UZ, and the Coolpix 995. Sound in movie mode is not an issue for me, I want to take lots and lots of pictures. I like the idea of the F1.8 fast lens, but really that's a minor selling point for the C-3040Z. What sold me on it was the 32MB buffer, and the size. I want a camera that I can have always tucked safely in my bag, so I can pull it out an a moments notice. I don't travel with a car, so it'll be knapsacked all the way.

The C-2100UZ is a lovely digicam... my questions on it though are:
1. Is no manual whitebalance an issue?
2. Internal buffer... what's it like?
3. Size, I've never seen one IRL, is it reasonably small? (i.e. not big like a toaster)
4. Is it a carry everywhere camera?
5. Does it come with NiMH and charger still (I see people talking about buying that extra with the camera - I thought Olympus included that).

One the C-3040Z, if you had to buy one camera, for everything (none exists now) which you could carry everywhere, would this be it?

Thanks,
Kue
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote