Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:37 AM   #1

Default Severely Damaged C4040

My C4040 was in my fanny pack when I slipped and fell backwards while on a hike in Hawaii. The good news is that it broke my fall, otherwise I may have broken my back! The bad news is that the C4040 was more or less destroyed. The LCD was reduced to shards of plastic, the case split open, the lens cap embedded in the lens tube, the access covers broken off, etc. Like I said, it's more or less totalled. The SM card was also broken and I lost all my pictures. I always wondered how sturdy the SM cards really are. Now I know!

The question is: Has anyone had a camera with this much damage repaired? Should I just scrap it and buy a new one?
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:18 AM   #2

Ouch! :!: Seems like you're trying to do CPR on someone who's been dead for an hour. Let's hope it's still recoverable, in some way at least!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:27 AM   #3

Default Double ouch!

IMHO, the cost of repairs will most likely far (?) exceed the cost of a new camera. Looking not only at the cost of parts you describe but also labor and any broken internal parts. With the case boken open, there's no telling about internal parts and ribbon wires, etc.

About the only way to get repairs is if you purchased an extended warranty and it's still in effect. And then they may say, "Too much to repair, here's a new camera."

Good luck with your decision.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:57 AM   #4

It is time to replace the camera. I am glad to hear you survived the fall. I think I could say that any media would have been damaged based on your description of the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:20 AM   #5

tell me truthfully what is left to salvage there? your discription is that of a total. its time to move on to a 5050 or 5060 and start using CF (almost indestructable) cards with some real capacity.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:52 AM   #6

I've been reading the review of the C-5060 lately and if you're going to upgrade, I think it's a great move.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:01 PM   #7

Hmmmmm....I am surprised even the media sustained a fracture.

Tough fall!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 4:56 AM   #8

Warranty wouldn't cover this anyway since it's not a "manufacturing defect"...for the 4040 Oly America lists the "Overhaul (severe damage)" cost at $320 (as of January of this year, may have changed since)...this repair though may be beyond that.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote