Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1

Default SP-565 users?

I've been a long time user of Oly point and shoots, and am considering a Olympus superzoom, specifically the SP-565.....have found a couple factory refurbished models for a decent price. Any user feedback from owners that might be of note for a potential buyer? I've also considered the SP-590, but I don't think the extra reach would really be of much importance over the 20x of the 565. Any issues with wide angle distortion that cause problems? Looks like Oly Master 2 software will correct lens distortions in editing.

Thanks so much for the feedback, much appreciated!!
kk202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:46 AM   #2

kk202-

Welcome to the Forum-

It is just my personal opinion, but having owned both the SP-565 and the SP-590 cameras, the SP-590 is clearly the better camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:53 PM   #3

Thanks, Sarah - - good to hear from someone who's used both. The SP-590 image samples look nice. And from Steve's review, sounds like it has a much improved spec sheet, especially in speed (autofocus, processing, etc.), not to mention the increased zoom potential.

Kevin
kk202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk202 View Post
Thanks, Sarah - - good to hear from someone who's used both. The SP-590 image samples look nice. And from Steve's review, sounds like it has a much improved spec sheet, especially in speed (autofocus, processing, etc.), not to mention the increased zoom potential.

Kevin
Of the SP5XXUZ series, the 565 is the only one I have not owned. The SP590UZ is an outstanding camera. I've submitted LOTS of photos for you to take a look at when you get the time. Some with the TCON-17.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Of the SP5XXUZ series, the 565 is the only one I have not owned. The SP590UZ is an outstanding camera. I've submitted LOTS of photos for you to take a look at when you get the time. Some with the TCON-17.
I came across this forum earlier in the week when looking for information about the SP 590 UZ camera and also the TCON-17 and am quite impressed with the assistance given by members.

My husband has recently purchased the SP 590 and has been having similar problems to those described in some of the threads. Is there a TCON-17 thread?

Thank you for your assistance
onlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
I came across this forum earlier in the week when looking for information about the SP 590 UZ camera and also the TCON-17 and am quite impressed with the assistance given by members.

My husband has recently purchased the SP 590 and has been having similar problems to those described in some of the threads. Is there a TCON-17 thread?

Thank you for your assistance
You need the adapter tube to use the TCON-17.
My Gallery

--
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:29 PM   #7

Yes, but I need more info about it, how/when it is best used etc and don't have access to that locally. Can you point me to one of your photos using the converter and possibly some info about distance etc that might be pertinent. My husband is wanting to use the camera for bird photgraphy in the bush.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, but I need more info about it, how/when it is best used etc and don't have access to that locally. Can you point me to one of your photos using the converter and possibly some info about distance etc that might be pertinent. My husband is wanting to use the camera for bird photgraphy in the bush.
You MUST have the adapter in place to use the TCON. Use the TCON when you want that extra distance.

http://tinyurl.com/ydu3m6n

http://tinyurl.com/yfzalp8 <==== distance on this one is about 175 - 200 feet (through windows)

http://tinyurl.com/y8gdg66

http://tinyurl.com/yzrgt43

The distance varies but most were through double-pane glass and about 20-25 feet away.
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Dec 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
You MUST have the adapter in place to use the TCON. Use the TCON when you want that extra distance.

http://tinyurl.com/ydu3m6n

http://tinyurl.com/yfzalp8 <==== distance on this one is about 175 - 200 feet (through windows)

http://tinyurl.com/y8gdg66

http://tinyurl.com/yzrgt43

The distance varies but most were through double-pane glass and about 20-25 feet away.
Thank you very much! Superb! ... all my husband needs now is practice and patience and all I need now is to start saving up to buy the TCON-17 and adapter for his birthday.

At the moment he has used the 'Scene Birdwatch' setting with disappointing results when sneaking up on small, flighty birds.

Thank you
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you very much! Superb! ... all my husband needs now is practice and patience and all I need now is to start saving up to buy the TCON-17 and adapter for his birthday.

At the moment he has used the 'Scene Birdwatch' setting with disappointing results when sneaking up on small, flighty birds.

Thank you
Thanks!

He'll need patience and a tripod or monopod when he uses the 565 w/TCON. Especially, when it's racked out!
My Gallery

--