Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:41 PM   #11

Stephanie-

You are making good progress. The last photo of the 2 girls is somewhat over exposed, and somewhat unfocused, that is why you didn't like it very well. Pay attention to where you let the camera focus, that will keep things sharper.

Also is you shoot in "P" for programed Auto Mode, that will prevent some of that over exposure. All in all, you are doing well. Keep in mind that as you take more photos, they will get progressively better.

We are always here to help.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:36 PM   #12

Hi there, Stephanie-

I don't mean to be a pest. However, I was thinking back to your original post. And I decided to do some experimenting. The attached photo, of my husband, was taken in our Family Room without flash. I did it by numerically increasing the ISO setting to 800.

Yes, there is some noise in the photo, but the SP-590 the camera can take photos at at least up to ISO 800. When you take your photo in the "P" for program Mode you will have displayed on the LCD screen and in the viewfinder will show the aperture and shutter speed being used for that photo.

On your original photos, after some additional thought, I think that we can conclude that your photos were blurry because of the very slow shutter speed and some camera movement. So just keep track of your shutter speed. If it goes lower than 1/40th of a second, it is time to use your camera's built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:16 PM   #13

Default No, pest me, pest me!

I need all of the input, help I can get. I really appreciate it!!!! It sounds so simple to use P mode, but I hardly know how....I am getting nervous about keeping this camera.

Still at it,
Stephanie
Stepmc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepmc10 View Post
I need all of the input, help I can get. I really appreciate it!!!! It sounds so simple to use P mode, but I hardly know how....I am getting nervous about keeping this camera.

Still at it,
Stephanie
Stephanie, believe me when I say that you will really regret getting rid of it. Especially when you start to get the knack of a lesser camera and see just how much more the SP590 is capable of. How long have you had it? What... two weeks? It's not even broken in. Did you say the same thing when you were learning about a computer... "This is too complex. I'm going back to looking at magazines and writing letters". Doubtful. Chances are you saw the potential of the Internet and email and kept at it. And, while it still may be a little daunting, you're getting better every time to use it, right?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Nov 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 2:02 PM   #15

Default Ok. Ok!

Is trial and error the BEST approach in figuring out photography? Or, is there some type of online tutorial or website or book that I could benefit from?

Also, in light of the auto mode on this camera not shooting "excellent" pics, what purpose does it serve?

How did you know about the sensor being so small making it as tricky, if not more tricky, than a DSLR?

Thanks,
Stephanie
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Is trial and error the BEST approach in figuring out photography? Or, is there some type of online tutorial or website or book that I could benefit from?

Also, in light of the auto mode on this camera not shooting "excellent" pics, what purpose does it serve?

How did you know about the sensor being so small making it as tricky, if not more tricky, than a DSLR?

Thanks,
Stephanie

There are two books I *HIGHLY* recommend to all my friends whose interest is sparked in photography. "The Digital Photography Book" Vols 1 & 2 by Scott Kelby and "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. In that order. Kelby's books will get you up and shooting like a pro within 24 hours without having to understand the "whys". It's light reading and he's pretty funny, too. Peterson's book expiains the "whys" and some of the theory behind "the triangle" (exposure, ISO, & light).

Auto mode is for a time when you just don't have time to fiddle with settings and are reasonably sure the camera will make the right choices. There's nothing "wrong" with using it. It's just that the onboard electronics are sometimes "tricked" or "fooled" into making the wrong choices.

How did I know about sensor size? I read stuff and investigate. I use the Internet to answer my questions. Just like you're doing right now. There are TONS of photography forums. It just so happens you got onto one of the very best at the start of your photography journey. There aren't a lot like this one. Most are filled with camera snobs and pixel-peepers that relish in making you feel incapable and inadequate. This place is very supportive and knowledgeable. You will always get a straight answer and an HONEST critique here.
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Nov 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:16 PM   #17

Default Thanks Gary!

Gary (and Sarah Joyce),

I appreciate your time and dedication to a novice. I SOOO want to learn to take better pictures, but it is very overwhelming b/c all the little details of picture taking begin to run together b/c I don't have an understanding of it all. I will check into ordering the books you have suggested!!! I guess I lucked out with my previous camera on getting good "auto" shots without having to learn anything about what I was doing. This sp-590 is gonna make a "photographer" out of me yet.....well, with this board's help/advice!

Look forward to future posts,
Stephanie
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Gary (and Sarah Joyce),

I appreciate your time and dedication to a novice. I SOOO want to learn to take better pictures, but it is very overwhelming b/c all the little details of picture taking begin to run together b/c I don't have an understanding of it all. I will check into ordering the books you have suggested!!! I guess I lucked out with my previous camera on getting good "auto" shots without having to learn anything about what I was doing. This sp-590 is gonna make a "photographer" out of me yet.....well, with this board's help/advice!

Look forward to future posts,
Stephanie
That's the spirit, Stephanie! Bear in mind, that you are shooting to please YOU. Not everyone else. But, do bear in mind that what you THOUGHT was a good image may have been mediocre at best and could possibly have been better with better technique.
My Gallery

--