Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 22, 2003, 3:35 PM   #1

Default C-750 vs Panasonic Lumix FZ10

I'm trying to buy my first digital camera and would like your views on the benefits/drawbacks of these two cameras. I mainly take pictures when traveling or hiking (though I will use it for family shots, etc. as well). I like pictures of wildlife. landscapes and landmarks. Because of this I am looking for a large zoom, durability and good quality as well as size and weight. I like that the C-750 is smaller and lighter, but am worried about the lack of a stabilized zoom such as the FZ10's. I really don't see myself carrying a tripod around or having time to set it up for those impromptu animal shots (I visit Alaska once a year, as well as other places I'd shoot wildlife and scenery).
Any opinions on the tradeoffs of these two cameras in my situation?
Thanks
TerriLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2003, 1:08 AM   #2

Default C-750 vs Panasonic Lumix FZ10

I was gonna ask the same thing. I currently have an Oly 2100 UZI and I still love it. I've had it for 2.5 years and I love Olympus's image quality. I've printed 8 X 11 pics w/ 2 mp and it's crystal clear. However, I would like to prints pics larger than that and am looking at the 4MP cameras.
Since the C-750 doesn't have an image stabilizer, while the FZ10 has, the FZ10 looks very very tempting. One thing I like about the C-750 is that it is compact for a 10X zoom camera.
If I can get quality images using the B-300 lens into the FZ10, that would be a smokin 20.4X optical zoom.
stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 12:44 PM   #3

I cannot comment on the FZ10 but I used the FZ2 which was image stabilized and I thought the C-750 provided crisper images handheld without any stabilization.

Check out www.kevin-bates.co.uk for Olympus images all are handheld I do not use a tripod.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 6:45 PM   #4

I have the same question posted in Newbie Help, if anyone has some more recommendations.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 8:05 PM   #5

terry lyn you must be clairvoyant. i just sold my leica digilux 1 and am looking for a replacement and have narrowed it down to these 2 cameras. the panasonic has more convential appeal to me (like my leica) but 2x the weight. i mostly do outdoor artsy type shots when hiking, so wieght is a big factor. can the editor help us out here?
schuepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 2:45 PM   #6

Did you compare sizes Oly750 and FZ10 ... brrrrr ... terrible the FZ10 size!

I had an Oly700 and I liked it - now I have an Oly750 ... and like it!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 7:49 PM   #7

Default FZ10 weight and size

Well, I ended up purchasing the FZ10 while I was in Texas over the holiday. The weight feels MUCH lighter than it is listed, if that helps anyone. It was a concern of mine. The only thing I've seen (and just started really playing) is the size. It is pretty bulky, with the lens being a bit top-heavy. I do understand the reason for this and would rather have a good lens than a cheap plastic one, but it certainly does make me yearn for the smaller size of the C-750. On the bright side, the LCD is 2" and makes a big difference to me. I did find a case that fit it well and makes it seem much smaller to carry around. Hint - put it in with the back flat down and the lens facing up rather than sideways as normal - makes it seem much smaller and less cumbersome. So other than not being able to put it in a pocket or purse, I think the benefits will be worth it. I appreciate all the help I've been given. If anyone has specific questions, feel free to email me, and I'll check here occasionally as well.
TerriLynn is offline   Reply With Quote