Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Default shutter speed 550WP

Olympus 550 WP - does anyone know what the shutter speed is when the camera is in SCN SPORT mode?

thanks
jimboskinheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:51 AM   #2

There is no single shutter speed value the camera can guarantee. The camera, like any camera, is limited by how much light the lens lets in (aperture) and what ISO values the camera can use. Depending on the amount of light in the scene the camera may provide a shutter speed of 1/1000 or it may be 1/6.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3

i would think in SPORT mode there would be a minimum shutter speed, otherwise, what's the point
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:11 PM   #4

The camera can't magically alter the laws of physics. For example, for the sake of discussion 1/500 is a shutter speed that is often discussed as a desirable minimum shutter speed for freezing human based movement.

Take a camera into a dark closet with no light whatsoever. The camera can't manufacure light so you can get a 1/500 shutter speed.

All it can do is try to give you the fastest shutter speed possible given the light levels and the limitations of ISO and aperture.

Here's what sports modes on cameras typically do:
1) bump up ISO but rarely to the maximum possible value. On your camera it may use ISO 200. Guess what, for some sports shooting I do I use ISO 6400. That camera doesn't have an ISO 6400. And it's highest ISO value available may be of such poor quality the scene modes don't use it.

2) Engage whatever burst mode the camera has - so hat you can hold down the shutter button and take multiple shots

3) Use widest aperture value available. This helps get faster shutter speeds but can't guarantee a certain speed.

4) for certain cameras, it engagess a continuous foucs mode so the camera will continuously re-focus as you hold the shutter down. Not sure if your particular camera has that capability or not.

Like any other preset modes on a camera, a sports mode won't push the envelope on what cameras can do. More advanced cameras allow you to use manual exposure, set focus mode, set ISO yourself so you can push the envelope to the camera's capabilities. But a given camera still may not be capable of what you want to do. Sports shooting is very difficuult on equipment - it's the one area most digicams still fail at because it is so demanding.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:13 PM   #5

that's a lot of bs to describe the difference between aperture priority, shutter priority and manual control of both. all i want to know is--does this camera attempt to limit the shutter speed in SPORT mode to stop motion.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:22 PM   #6

Jim - if you think me trying to help you is BS perhaps you're better off going somewhere else for help. None of the above has anything to do with aperture priority or shutter priority. You might want to learn a bit about photography before you call advice BS. I wish you the best of luck.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:28 PM   #7

nevermind - are you interested in an Olympus OM4T with several nice lenses? Got an OM1 too, tired of using film.