Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 4, 2002, 7:48 PM   #1

Default Max SmartMedia on C-2500L ?

Apologies if this is an old question:
I have a 2 year old 2500L w/1.20 code.
What is the maximum SmartMedia card I
can use ? Not what ships... rather, max size. The manual says 64MB. Some sites indicate it's 128MB (updated code ?) Or... is it really 64 and that's as far as it can be pushed ? The reason I ask is that I typically pump prints to 8x10 and getting 3 shots per 32MB card is a bit tedious. Any insights appreciated !
Thank you for your help,
Regards,
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2002, 8:03 PM   #2

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/compatchart.asp

all the answeres
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2002, 8:23 PM   #3

Default Gary, Thanks ! (pardon the second question)

Thank your for the the quick reply ! Looks like 128MB is as far as it will push. Have you had, or know of anyone who has had , success with CompactFlash Cards of a larger size (I should have asked this up front). If so, are there any restrictions regarding variations of CompactFlash cards ? I have heard they are slower to store but Olympus doesn't appear to market them under their own label. Just wondering.

Again, thanks for the help !
Old Aug 4, 2002, 10:11 PM   #4

128 is max size of SM todate, next one released will be a 256. Is the 2500 dual slot? Olympus comming out with new card, will be smaller than SM but will be an adaptor to use in CF slot, card will be quick and later on go to 8 gig, they say 1 gig before XMAS.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 10:37 PM   #5

Altos
This should answer your CF question on CF card size. you will need to copy and paste link to browser as too long for direct click
Gary

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...+SLR&submit=Go
Old Aug 4, 2002, 11:52 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Altos
Thank your for the the quick reply ! Looks like 128MB is as far as it will push. Have you had, or know of anyone who has had , success with CompactFlash Cards of a larger size (I should have asked this up front). If so, are there any restrictions regarding variations of CompactFlash cards ? I have heard they are slower to store but Olympus doesn't appear to market them under their own label. Just wondering.

Again, thanks for the help !

I was going to ask you why you were using SmartMedia, go with the large CF cards in the C-2500. My C-2500 has firmware v1.20 and max's out at 64MB on SM, it will not recognize the 128MB SM cards. It as no problem using a 1GB SanDisk CF card though.

-Steve

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by steve]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 10:55 AM   #7

Default Steve, thanks for the input !

I started checking around and CF 256MB
cards seem to be running $94-135 depending on maker. SanDisk seems to be the favorite. And... thanks for the comment about not being able to access beyond 64MB on the SmartCard. That could have hurt without your advice.

Enjoy,
Old Aug 14, 2002, 1:00 AM   #8

Default Why do you want to use SM at all??

The controller for SmartMedia is in the camera. The controller for CF (compact flash) is on the card itself. There is no apriori limit, as Steve said, on compact flash (not SmartMedia - CF - different animal). Since the C2500L lets you use either or both, why bother at all with SmartMedia??? Just get any size Type I Compact Flash card and it works fine. You could, as Steve said, use up to a 1 gigabyte CF card in your camera.....

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote