Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:12 AM   #1

Default MicroSD users, do you use card reader or USB direct to camera?

(If you're asking why I'm asking this in the Oly forum, newer Oly P&S cameras come with an adapter (MASD-1) that allows you to use MicroSD cards in the xD slot.)

As an Oly user using the MASD-1 MicroSD-xD adapter, do you use a card reader, or do you just us USB direct to the camera?

For years I've always used card readers, but then I was using larger cards, CF, SM, xD, and SD.

Now with MicroSD being so small, I'm wondering if it's safer (so I don't lose the thing because it's so tiny) to use USB rather than risking losing the card in all the junk I have on my desk (although my card reader does have a MicroSD slot).

I would prefer to hear from those who regularly used card readers in the past, if you still do so now with MicroSD?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
(If you're asking why I'm asking this in the Oly forum, newer Oly P&S cameras come with an adapter (MASD-1) that allows you to use MicroSD cards in the xD slot.) ...
I know I don't fit your target audience, but let me chime in anyway. I took a fast look for microSD and altho there are some class 6 from second-tier manufacturers (aData), I can only find Class 4 and 2 from the top names. Right away, bad investment.

As for USB vs removing the card... I do both but favour transferring via the USB cable. It's always plugged into the computer anyway. If I'm away from my main computer but want to save/backup the images to a notebook, I'll use the card reader in the notebook. Whatever's convenient. In the long run, I really don't see much difference except you're handling the camera bit more to get the card out/in and might drop it. I wouldn't think about this one too hard.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Hi Mike: I don't use the micro SD with my cameras, but I use it in several other applications. But my micro cards came with an SD adapter. I insert the tiny micro card into the adapter. Much easier to handle, and the adapter with the card slips easily into and out of my card reader.

Have a good day,
Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
But my micro cards came with an SD adapter. I insert the tiny micro card into the adapter. Much easier to handle, and the adapter with the card slips easily into and out of my card reader.
But in the case of the Olympus MASD-1 xD adapter, it's not a standard xD card...it has an extra little protrusion preventing you from inserting it into standard xD slots...the Stylus camera has the hole that allows you to insert the MASD-1 into it, but you can't insert it into xD readers, or into other xD cameras (otherwise I would have bought one for my E-330 which has an xD slot, and used a high capacity MicroSD instead of a 2gig xD card for backup/additional storage for my CF card).

Picture of MASD-1 compared to a standard xD:
http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/D...asd-1%20xd.jpg

(And you CAN'T cut the protrusion off to make the MASD-1 fit other devices...if you insert the MASD-1 into the Stylus without the protrusion you'll get a card error, so the protrusion tells the camera you are using the MASD-1 instead of a standard xD card.)

Picture of a MicroSD being inserted into the MASD-1:
http://www.camera-shop.co.uk/acatalog/masd-1.jpg

That's what makes it so annoying...if I could insert the MASD-1 into a card reader I wouldn't have a complaint, as it's not as easy to lose, and the bright yellow makes it easy to find should I drop it (why didn't they make the MicroSD card bright colours instead of black).
Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:38 PM   #5

I agree, that's a weird shape for the Oly adapter. Wonder why they choose that design??

What I was speaking of is the standard micro SD to Standard SD adapter. the standard SD adapter fits right into the SD slot of my card readers, makes copying back and forth easy between the card and computer.

Here is a picture of the micro SD with the SD adapter. I've bought several from Compusa and they all had the adapter included for about $10 total.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...asp?CatId=1579

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:29 PM   #6

This may be a daft question but, could you not just cut the extra tab off for them to fit a standard xd slot? or are the pins different to?

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
This may be a daft question but, could you not just cut the extra tab off for them to fit a standard xd slot? or are the pins different to?
It's not a daft question at all, since I thought it having bought the MASD-1 second hand because I wanted to use it in my E-330 as the 2nd card.

The thing is the tab tells the Stylus (and others that can use the MASD-1) to switch the pin configuration from xD to MASD-1/MicroSD. The pinouts are still the same number as xD, but it tells them to do something different...like shifting a car from forward to reverse.

As such without the tab it won't tell the camera to switch to MicroSD mode, and in the xD reader it wouldn't work because it's expecting an xD specific card, not an adapter that's only using 8 of the 18 xD contacts.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:29 AM   #8

carder reader with adapter.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:30 PM   #9

I use a micro SD in the xD card adapter in my Olympus waterproof camera and I have never used a USB cable. I always remove the card and insert into the micro SD slot of my card reader attach the card reader to thr laptop and go from there. Then again I have always used a crad reader becasue camera batteries can go dead and if that happens in the middle of an upload your gonna have trouble, which some f my friends have had and have even lost images

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote