Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 8, 2002, 11:24 AM   #1

Default buying Olympus C4000z or Minolta Dimage S404

Did anyone compare the Olympus C4040Z(or C4000z) and the Minolta Dimage S404 ?
In Holland the C4040z is the most expensive, after that the S404 and than the C 4000Z
Can you give me some help ?

Frits
fritsgleisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:11 PM   #2

Each has something about it that you could like. The C-4040 is the best of the bunch hands down, however the price is the only downside.

The C-4000 is less of a stripped down C-4040 and more of a C-3020 with a 4MP CCD. It's a usable camera, but it doesn't have the fast lens of the C-4040 (doesn't really make much of a difference). There is the same noise reduction (a good thing but something you can do in software as well). The C-4040 has a big 32MB buffer for a faster shot to shot speed. It's pretty fast. The C-4000 however has the new Olympus menu (which people tend to think is more organized than the older Camedia menus). The C-4000 has this super macro mode for the ultimate macros. It's pretty decent, but nothing that'll make you regret a C-4040Z purchase. As with any Olympus camera either the C-4040 or the C-4000 will make you happy. If you're a sucker for speed and night shots and want audio in those Quicktime movies, buy the C-4040 (you get an IR remote with this choice). If you don't mind silent movies (and I don't mind them at all), could live with not the very best in night shots, and want a digital camera that takes great photos but is still easy to use, buy the C-4000.

About the Dimage S404; this camera has 3 things going for it 1. Live AF, 2. 4X Optical Zoom 3. Price. Everything else is a kinda mixed bag. Okay let me be real though, this is actually not a bad little camera, it has a few quirks (and which camera doesn't). Image quality is excellent (like the Olympus), but it uses a 12bit A/D converter (i.e. more discrete sampling levels to capture greater detail). My one quirk with all Minolta cameras is no instant gratification; you've got to run your images through their Image Utility viewer to get the right colours on your images. Something about Minolta just doesn't sit right with me in the digital imaging department.

Since the C-4000 costs the same as the S404, I can't honestly suggest you go with the S404. But then again, this is the Olympus forum, we're all biased towards their products. Try asking this question in the Minolta forum as well.

I've got one question though, did you consider the Nikon Coolpix 4500 or the Canon G2? Both are 4MP and give excellent pictures. Don't get fooled by this Megapixel rating on cameras though, what might really suit your needs would be a 2MP camera or a 3MP. Maybe if you tell us what you want to do with the camera and your experience in digital imaging we can make a more informed and less biased recommendation.

*This is Kue's Non Professional Opinion
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 10:54 AM   #3

Default C4000Z

Thanks kuemauve, for your interesting answer. This is my first digicam that i want to buy. I like to take pictures in macro of flowers, butterflies etc and so does my wife too. After that we will blow it up in the computer till A4 format. So they suggest to me to take an 4 M pixel like Minolta S 404 or Olympus C 4040 . Now the C 4000z is coming soon in Holland, I would like to buy this one, because its Euro 250 cheaper than the 4040. I have seen also the G2, takes excellent pictures but is very heavy to handle for my wife and its nearly Euro 1000 here in Holland. The disadvantage of the Minolta , to my opninon, is that you have to run the images through the image Utility Viewer.

Frits Gleisberg
Rotterdam
Holland
fritsgleisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 1:37 AM   #4

Macro mode is all that's important? Then honestly I'd say buy the C-4000Z. It's macro mode is better than both the C-4040Z and the S404.

Since Macro Photography is your thing, look a little more closely at the Nikon 4500 as well, there are some good reviews out there on that camera. For Macro photography I believe the swivel lens will work to your benefit. It does cost around the same price as the C-4040Z, but it already includes a decent a battery/charger, which you still need to buy with the C-4000. The Nikon Coolpix cameras have dominated Macro photography in the digital realm for a while.

If price is the major considering factor then you'd need to go with the C-4000. Remember you need to spend extra on (1) 4 NiMH Batteries + charger (2) Smartmedia Memory card - buy a 128MB (3) carrying case.

Whatever you decide on, good luck.

Kue
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote