Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:28 PM   #1

Default STYLUS 850SW CAMERA Screen not displaying

WE have had this camera about 2 years. But lately the screen will not display. It still takes pictures but with not having an eye piece you have no clue what it is taking.
Is it worth fixing?
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:37 PM   #2

I also have an 850SW, which I recently bought used before I knew all the facts.

Just after I bought it I saw a new Olympus TOUGH selling for $100 (although that model doesn't have the 850's nice bright LED light...you have to buy the more expensive models for that feature).

I also didn't know that the seals and packing in the camera should be replaced yearly to keep up the waterproofing.

With those facts, I suggest getting a new one instead since you should also replace the seals. If you want to go into deeper water you can get one that can go down to 10m/30ft instead of 3m/10ft like the 850SW.

Also, the 850SW suffers from noise (again something I didn't know about before buying).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:52 PM   #3

Thanks...the current plan right now is to buy our daughter a new underwater camera for Christmas. But I hoped maybe someone new of a quick fix or something. I actually really like the camera. Never had any concerns with noise or dislike of my pictures. This was the fun pool beach camera...sadly she is headed to spring board dive camp tomorrow and I really wanted it to work better for her.....Not in the budget to replace right now....It seems to take about 25-20 pictures or so before it shuts off then it will work again later....
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:20 PM   #4

Sorry, no quick fix. The only thing I would have thought of is you have "Power Save" mode on which shuts off the screen after a few seconds, but the screen always comes back on as soon as you tap any button.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:27 PM   #5

I ended up buying a new underwater camera, this time a fuji, it was $149.00 had pretty much all the same features as this one. Figure that is cheap enough....and now the olympus is working fine....so it must be a bad spot or something and will go blank after so many shots...