Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:26 AM   #11

Recently got a old Olympus-a C-1400XL (D-620L). It's a old model (only 1.4MP and uses SmartMedia cards).

So here's a photo I took with it:

I used a National PE-280C flash connected to the Olympus via the PC sync socket .
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:47 PM   #12

Hi babya: Yes even the old cameras can give good results with practice. Enjoy your camera and have fun with it.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:21 PM   #13

some taken with my old SP-500UZ

x Sarah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:10 AM   #14

Those are excellent shots; I'm sure you are proud of them.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:31 PM   #15

I sure am, its a brilliant camera, i'm kinda reluctant to move on up to my new e-450 but i'm sure once i get the hang of it i will be just as happy.

and of course my old cam will still be sitting there ready to pick up if need be, she can be hard to get a result out of if the lighting isn't right, but for a point and click cam she really is brilliant!
x Sarah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:45 AM   #16

Here's 4 photos taken with some old Olympus cameras that I got from thrift stores.

First one is taken with a C-2000Z bought secondhand today for $12.50 that has a fast f2 3x zoom lens and originally came out in 1999:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Same camera-this time a external National PE-280C flash unit was used and the built-in flash disabled for this second photo:

Third one is from the C-2040Z which has a even faster f1.8 lens that I got secondhand a few months ago for $10 and came out in 2001:

Also, this last one of some cars parked on our street at night is taken with the C-2040Z:

Last edited by babya; Mar 7, 2011 at 4:58 AM.
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 3:06 AM   #17

I've got an Olympus C-755 (same as C-750) from 2004 (4 MP), and I haven't seen a bridge camera since then that can match its image quality.
Jpeg compression with my C-755 is also much less than in today's cameras.

I also have an Olympus SP-560... I love the size, layout, and specs of this camera (it even has a legitimate BULB mode)... but its inconsistent focus frustrates the crap out of me. It can produce great, in focus shots, and also others that are more than a little soft. And it happens totally at random. Out of 10 photos taken of the same subject with same exposure within, say, 10 minutes, half of them will be blurry.
Also with the 560, in manual focus, the 'distance scale' is, at best, a very rough estimate - which is also frustrating.

From my experience, the Olympus cameras from the first half of this decade had noticeably better image quality than bridge cameras from any manufacturer in recent years. While the manufacturers have added megapixels and various gimmicks and bells and whistles over the years, they've skimped on Jpeg compression and on image quality.

Last edited by EOS RT; May 9, 2011 at 3:35 AM.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:14 PM   #18

i've a 5050 and an 8080 and getting a 7070 in a few days - must say something about my feelings for these cameras i think they are fantastic cameras with alot of flaws but they shine where they are supposed to i.e. image quality. it took me long enough to realise that its not the camera but the brain behind the camera thats important and i'm happy enough to put up with the flaws to be able to enjoy these classics

great macros sarah! love the moth - pity its on your finger but its good all the same
breadbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbin View Post
i've a 5050 and an 8080 and getting a 7070 in a few days - must say something about my feelings for these cameras i think they are fantastic cameras with alot of flaws but they shine where they are supposed to i.e. image quality. it took me long enough to realise that its not the camera but the brain behind the camera thats important and i'm happy enough to put up with the flaws to be able to enjoy these classics

great macros sarah! love the moth - pity its on your finger but its good all the same
I have and still use on occasion the C8080. It is a well built, tough camera that takes high quality photographs. (It has also survived a lot of beating and banging and even drops to the pavement.) And I have acquaintances who have the 5050 and the 7070 and regard them well. You are going to like the 7070. All of them are indeed classics.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:00 AM   #20

Default My first digital ever was an Oly C4000

I shot that camera till I broke it (literally). I didn't know a THING back then and only used Auto on that camera - and it still churned out one gorgeous shot after another. Great glass, great electronics, even if it DID take those crazy little Smart Media cards - !! It was a Christmas gift back in 2002 and I fell in love with the little thing. It only had a 3x zoom. It did a pretty fine macro as well.

Some images from it "back in the day", including my one and ONLY lightning shot:

Last edited by AnniM; Mar 12, 2012 at 6:03 AM. Reason: Deleted a shot
AnniM is offline   Reply With Quote