Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:52 PM   #21

Default The Old Olympus 765

My pocket camera recently gave up the ghost and i was on the look out for a new one, haven't found one yet and fed up with looking at reviews.
In the meantime i dug out my old 765 and wish i could get all that's on this camera in a new model but much faster. It does everything i am happy with but yes, it is slow to start and slow to take a shot too, otherwise i still think it takes good photos. Cropped only.
I took this rose yesterday in my garden. We have had so much rain that everything in the garden is spoilt really and more rain on the way.
Anyway, is there a camera as good as this oldie but much faster?
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:13 PM   #22

Yes eysha, that is a good shot. And I agree, the 765 is a classic Oly point and shoot camera, one of the best of its era.

P.S. I viewed your galleries. You have some very nice images there.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:02 PM   #23

Thanks Steven R. Looking to buy something simialr but modern to the 765 so if you have a suggesion i would be happy to hear it.
Thanks for looking at my gallery too and thanks for the comment.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks Steven R. Looking to buy something simialr but modern to the 765 so if you have a suggesion i would be happy to hear it.
Thanks for looking at my gallery too and thanks for the comment.
Hi eysha: What features are most important to you in a small digital camera? Do you need a long zoom lens? Do you want something that you can carry in your pocket? Under what kind of conditions do you usually shoot- i.e. indoors with flash, outdoor landscapes or flowers, or birds and animals. Also, what price range are you wanting to spend for your next camera?

Describe what you most want and we can look at some of your options.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:06 PM   #25

I would like a long zoom to shoot wildlife and a fast shutter speed would be great so i don't miss any action.
I like to take macro shots too, flowers and insects. Very rarely do i shoot in the house. Lastly i am looking for a pocket camera that will last me a few years. My last pocket camera, a samsung, didn't last long so hoping the next one will,lol.
I have a panasonic fz38 at the moment but a bit big to carry everywhere.
I will be very interested as to what you come up with but i ill be happy with an Olympus or Panasonic i guess as they have both been good cameras so far. Thanks for the help too, i appreciate it.

Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:15 PM   #26

You Panasonic is a good camera, but I can understand if it is a little too big to fit in a pocket. You mentioned a long zoom; the newer Oly long zooms are definitely thinner than your FZ38 and should be easier to carry around. The downside is that the newer P&S cameras leave off the viewfinder and you have to use the LCD panel for your shots. Not a big deal, but it is a different shooting technique than looking thru a viewfinder. Oly has a couple of long zooms P&S cameras that have the long reach and cost only $200 bucks on the street. I don't know the UK price. You might want to look at the SZ-12 and the SP-620UZ.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...12-review.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...uz-review.html

The best P&S picture quality would be the compact XZ-1, but it is much more expensive at around $500, and while it's lens is super sharp, it is only a 4X zoom.

The good thing is there are no "bad" cameras from the manufacturers. Almost all manufacturers make good small digital cameras. It's just a matter of getting the features you like, and the shape that feels confortable in your hands.

If your budget is bigger, eventually you may want to move up to the Pen series of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. Super photo quality, and very compact. But you would have to buy the lens separately when you want the longer tele-zooms above the standard kit lens that come with the body. Anyway, good luck with your camera search and keep us posted.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:32 PM   #27

Thanks Steve, i will keep looking an thanks for all the information, i will investigate it all. When the rain stops i might be able to post something - fingers crossed.